FK2 and firesteel

DMG

Gold Member
Striking a firesteel requires a sharp edge, usually the spine of the knife so as not to dull the blade. I have noticed that the spine on my FK2 is somewhat rounded which means it won’t work for that.

With every knife with a rounded spine you have these options:
Carry a small striker
Use the blade
File a flat on the back of the blade

What solutions have worked for you? Use the coil? Carry a Bic?

I carry a striker and often a SAK or traditional knife in addition to my primary fixed blade. If I was going to use my primary knife, FK2, I’d use the half inch of blade closest to the sharpening choil. I also carry a Bic.

There are also 90 degree spine CPK’s out there from the preorder.

Striking a firesteel requires a sharp edge, usually the spine of the knife so as not to dull the blade. I have noticed that the spine on my FK2 is somewhat rounded which means it won’t work for that.

With every knife with a rounded spine you have these options:
Carry a small striker
Use the blade
File a flat on the back of the blade

What solutions have worked for you? Use the coil? Carry a Bic?

The choil is way too small for most fingers so you can put a 90degree edge on it. The FK2 pre-order also had an option for 90 degree spines.

I strike with the awl on a SAK Pioneer since that knife is on me all the time. I think if I were in the camp that likes 90 degree spines but also likes CPKs I would do one of two things:

One, I'd grind the spine square myself or have a reputable modder grind it. Just take precautions not to overheat the steel and blow the low temp treat. Your sheath might get sloppy with this method. I'd likely look for one of the 90 degree ones from the preorder like the gentlemen above mentioned before doing this.

Or two, and probably a better option, I'd grind a small radius in the spine that would just match the diameter of my preferred firesteel. It'd give you a sharp half-moon to strike with, it would still leave most of the spine chamfered and finger friendly so as not to eat batons and such, and it wouldn't change the fit of your sheath. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
I have a sharpened spine from CPK, it was from the pre-order. There weren’t too many made or sold but it never hurts to ask Jo. It’s my favorite knife. The spine is sharp and will Chew through a baton faster than a chamfered spine but it’s still my preference.

If I didn’t have that I would carry a fire steel with a scraper. Although it probably wouldn’t hurt the edge it kinda seems like sacrilege.

You can of course light ferro or flint whatever steels for fire lighting with a squared spine.
But do not let that limit your imagination; I strip electrical wire, tree bark, fruit, whatever else with the spine that I don’t need an actual cutting edge for.
The 90 spine FK is like the Leatherman of the CPK knife world

I think I am going to carry the hacksaw blade striker. I also experimented with the little sharpening choil and was able to get a decent supply of sparks from it with no damage to the blade so I have that as a backup plan.

I'd really like a few matches and 5 gallons of diesel that shrinks down to about 8 oz for ease of carry in a pack lol. Until they come up with the technology for that, this kit works pretty well.

LfINCUr.jpg

hNpn74Y.jpg

aavaDo5.jpg

XsgkwWb.jpg

Back