FK2 sheath options?

hi folks
Just looking for a little info/advice on a new sheath for my fk2.
I lost my sheath yesterday. It was the stock right hand drop loop type that came with the knife.
I had one issue with the sheath, even before I lost it. When I carried the knife on my right hip and a rifle/shot gun in my right hand they always bumped against each other.
On my belt, with my big ass, the butt of the knife stuck out far enough that it was always clicking against my shotgun. When I carried the shotgun with just my right hand, that is.
This doesn’t happen with my edc2 or a ratmandu in a combat master (I think) sheath.
I may just buy a left hand stock fk2 sheath. I don’t feel it’d take me long to get used to that.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good right hand fk2 replacement sheath?
Does a combat master sheath work?
Any way to tweak the stock right hand sheath to change how it sits?
Leather would be nice but it’s prob a bit pricey for me right now.

Thanks in advance

Rusty

my FK2 is with Stuart Branson right now as he crafts a sheath for it. Once we work out the bugs, the idea is for him to be able to offer his sheaths up for folks who want them. They will be beautiful, functional and probably pretty affordable. I'll keep yous all in the loop.
He's also working on one for the HDFK as well

my FK2 is with Stuart Branson right now as he crafts a sheath for it. Once we work out the bugs, the idea is for him to be able to offer his sheaths up for folks who want them. They will be beautiful, functional and probably pretty affordable. I'll keep yous all in the loop.
He's also working on one for the HDFK as well
thats awesome.

please do.

thanks

bring this up once again, what have you been using other than the kydex one that comes with the knife, looking for a leather one. Love the looks of the bushcraft sagewood but the 14 week wait time is kind of a bummer! Anybody has any from the usual makers that you could post a picture?

Paul Long made a bunch of sheaths for several CPKers awhile back. He does great work check out the CPK in leather thread and scroll through maybe that will give you some ideas.

Paul's BladeForums nic is sheathmaker He has been fast making the sheaths I have gotten from him.

To follow up on the comment on Paul Long's sheath, here is an example. The sheath was made for a DEK-1, but it works marvelously well for a Field Knife. The coloration of the sheath is most accurately shown in the second photo.

RFOP9Q5.jpg

QWWXXvf.jpg

I am a big fan of Dave Ferry Horsewright Horsewright 's work. He just sent me photos of a couple sheaths he finished and shipped to me today. One of those is for my FK2..

Fyd0t8V.jpg

Qkuct7G.jpg

Dave is an active forum member here, particularly on the "Sheaths & Such" sub-forum if you want to learn more about him.

Phil

I have the same tooled sheath for one of Dave's small knives ... it's a real nice quality piece carries really nice.

Dave’s work is in a class by itself, everything I’ve seen is functional first, stylish next. How long was the wait on those?

Hey Martin,

I should probably leave it to Dave Horsewright Horsewright to respond specifically on the wait estimate because it varies somewhat. He works in small batches in between knife making, ranching, fishing, hunting, and making other leather products for serious cowboy folk. The turnaround time on my two sheaths was about three weeks. The fancy oak leaf carving is done by Dave's multi-talented wife Nichole. That option adds a little time to the wait.

The FK2 sheath was only the second fancy carved sheath I have ordered from him. His functional first standard sheaths are very handsome to me because of their lean simplicity. The other knife I sent this go around was a Bark River 3V Kephart that I had him add a water buffalo overlay to. That's generally about as fancy as I get.

aq9oGiV.jpg

Thanks for the comments!

Phil

Hey Martin,

I should probably leave it to Dave Horsewright Horsewright to respond specifically on the wait estimate because it varies somewhat. He works in small batches in between knife making, ranching, fishing, hunting, and making other leather products for serious cowboy folk. The turnaround time on my two sheaths was about three weeks. The fancy oak leaf carving is done by Dave's multi-talented wife Nichole. That option adds a little time to the wait.

The FK2 sheath was only the second fancy carved sheath I have ordered from him. His functional first standard sheaths are very handsome to me because of their lean simplicity. The other knife I sent this go around was a Bark River 3V Kephart that I had him add a water buffalo overlay to. That's generally about as fancy as I get.

aq9oGiV.jpg

Thanks for the comments!

Phil

Beautiful sheaths !!!!!!! Dave does awesome work, great guy too !

I am a big fan of Dave Ferry Horsewright Horsewright 's work. He just sent me photos of a couple sheaths he finished and shipped to me today. One of those is for my FK2..

Fyd0t8V.jpg

Qkuct7G.jpg

Dave is an active forum member here, particularly on the "Sheaths & Such" sub-forum if you want to learn more about him.

Phil

Thanks for the shout out Phil! Glad ya like your sheaths.

Thanks guys too!

Dave’s work is in a class by itself, everything I’ve seen is functional first, stylish next. How long was the wait on those?

Martin 2/3 weeks is pretty standard. We try to keep it close to two weeks but creeks rise sometimes. I tend to do sheaths for other folks knives when I'm doing sheaths for my own knives. So a lot of times it just depends on where I am in my work flow when your knife comes in. The oak or flower carving does take a little longer as ya can imagine it's pretty involved. I do the oak carving and my wife does the flower carving. This is one she did while I was doing the oak carving on Phil's and several others:

XGKVZdF.jpg

The water buffalo overlay is the plain one above. This is a soft chap type tannage of water buffalo that I overlay on sheaths, holsters and belts. It has a really cool almost velvety feel and texture to it and every single piece is absolutely unique. My wife here fixing fence on our ranch has built herself a whole outfit with it:

rOQDQ25.jpg

YdILLry.jpg

By the way, how she is carrying her knife is the location I recommend for folks to carry a larger knife like a FK2 in a pancake sheath.

Last edited:
Back