1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Flasks, let's see what you've got

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by knoefz, Feb 2, 2018.

1. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    I got a new Flask recently.
    This one from Stanley.
    Hope it'll last a loooong time.

[​IMG]

There's many beautiful flasks out there.
    I'm curious to see what you guy carry into the wild [​IMG]

2. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Here's what I carried before.
    But one started leaking at the bottom after a few years.

[​IMG]

3. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    E59CC527-AA8A-4D16-9E94-A8C581E4691B.jpeg I like the Titanium flasks. You can put anything in them from Scotch to Sulfuric acid. You just have to remember what the last refill was.

knoefz likes this.
  4. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    I have several but my favorite is this titanium wedge shaped flask.

Big fan of titanium.

[​IMG]

:D:cool:;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    knoefz likes this.
  5. Phoynix

Phoynix Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 21, 2013
    BladeScout
    Seen those cheap chinese titanium flasks before, what worries me is the soldering and if it contains lead or other toxins, they are so cheap you can get them for ~18 bucks in places.

Does it concern you at all?

6. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Well ..., NOW IT DOES!!:eek::eek::mad:

:D

7. mete

mete

Jun 10, 2003
    Soldering or brazing titanium ?? Have you ever tried to do that ? It'll never work. Welding yes though that would be laser or electron beam.

8. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Or TIG...

9. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    The 3 flasks in my photo above are made in Japan. They are neither cheap nor inexpensive.

10. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Beautiful collection buddy!

11. Phoynix

Phoynix Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I thought Argon or vacuum furnace can be used to solder/braze titanium?

The flasks I have seen have a silvery metal along seams, it doesn't seem like its pure titanium so whatever it is it worries me.

12. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    53164588-4FDF-4585-B0BA-53E8D975D360.jpeg You can weld Titanium in an Argon tent or a vacuum chamber to prevent the molten metal from reacting with the air. Titanium can look quite Silvery.

13. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    That Toaks Titanium has gone straight onto my wishlist!

14. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    The Toaks holds 100ml or 3 1/3oz or 2 1/4jiggers.

Pomsbz likes this.
  15. the possum

the possum

Jul 31, 2002
    I have a plain stainless steel 8oz flask that someone gave me years ago. I do actually carry it now and then on short walks or hunting simply because it fits in my pocket, so I don't have a water bottle or canteen bangin' around on my belt.

knoefz likes this.
  16. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    I used to race bikes way back when Mark Wallberg used to be Marky Mark. One of the best bikes I road was a Titan. Frame and forks were all titanium. It's was about $800 and up just for the frame and forks, the reason I heard the cost was so high was they were very difficult to solder. And when it wasn't quite up to par, they would snap like breadsticks right at the weld. Feather light, like pick up a entire bike with a finger.

17. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Any flask I ever bought seemed to be defective or have a leak ... I could make sure to fill them up ... and wouldn't you know as soon as I thought I might need to take a sip ... damned if the things weren't empty ... go figure o_O

PatrickP08 and superpaco like this.
  18. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    C4E31A14-F4D7-429E-B940-00C878C8CF0A.jpeg
    The Teledyne Titan bicycle frame was welded in a vacuum chamber. Teledyne was doing aerospace work so they had all the equipment. My Titan frames weigh 3lbs. each. The ride is a little mushy for racing but perfect for touring. Titanium is not difficult to weld outside of the shielding problem. Most Titanium welds are pretty to look at.

Krav likes this.
  19. mete

mete

Jun 10, 2003
    My comments were meant for those many who don't have a vacuum furnace handy. :( If you do have one then ti-ti will do it without the problems of other metals .