Flasks, let's see what you've got

knoefz

Basic Member
I got a new Flask recently.
This one from Stanley.
Hope it'll last a loooong time.

1T2mCw3WokdFLCnG3TKzIokjReVdAMOnlLRIP1caVkcL6TnOFxX5o3Tzr4PDWyE7aksPEXGCEuCGZnXdw_N4KQxaOBauusvTxzWUvAtxvh8C0cKCk-n0iUnIZnFIZRV5LuYVsSKrdt3HLQ9lyqd_nEfm1JVO71rf5cJCewTKSFxnsZXK8bcPIm-dyp7Uc5cEmvv_FQ7EsrgH6GGsrom5qA-HKk4zYtYLf68P-DUjEZmTEy3uc9dnVcqVAyyOR3MMIhMhTCtrBT52rzUcMN8UULaU3iY500pRnPB65qF0ygEqE8hd_8-AA54BIIBTucj1BTjJqF9hQxDdGZkwCGdUlN-H4bmTF7G2aNVjeRWVkWEDLVLMNXZQ-okAcAuQbLm4Le1vIRv7Yw_v0hExi3gHWeBoIyfmHzqe-xJXNGZpGcCapvjZ4NWBmt2ICG-qk93xLNW5nfjdu8mcj4wv_luQjZ3IND8U8D8_xUTxkiaMB6tPS9RWLglt6Gb9vDkHiV8RELzjfz2z4Zcl7mGyeIoyQqUtokcTe2gqryo8I6CxsjAnyViSxz6cBXTar_9nlJcXigwSOXnp7JBxQ2DIsWswWp0MlAJHbiO4WP5_IHM=w800-h533-no

There's many beautiful flasks out there.
I'm curious to see what you guy carry into the wild
biggrin.png

Here's what I carried before.
But one started leaking at the bottom after a few years.

YMQ-PiD3sTlsl0FNNTKHA69IopacqGVMljCLWIjbImzFKVr8O_3vQlT6DmR-nPtq0V8vCtfvROjezqp3WbVm5JUZ8QXT7Vw5KCYSjDTrjwdBD2YbnP_U66bMkG3m0NFBOBdQcYitc_IVTPGiKOCGZG45gRqak4rMS66fdImdSNcSrWfn3c6BgZATX3e_KUZRRSkJuNuQZbv8eO5ivHe5kQ0pww8b9QQOKXJDLO3s6igHyQpZs6hfji6ozsgeQca4Md5kWjduBHpRkws-phpbnzkvXYThdyoTx-T3RGaSLSY3Ea3jKAnw_c1FDVfWefGfeQ9iJ6dGiPG-Qxuoy4hgKzkr1HETpZUgVR2zc5Vfpflt430KJlqxaJIGZIQN1FY0rSkzU8C9uliNQQDfQQjuh3l-eU88gnthfAKeGJ3oNorqsXq30K_v-xpK_hHTDPwHTZRAfAxP6MqrNLNi2TbJESuFa7L0DLXqjEqI1DcQBFiP5h3_hZ2nlSgCZ6222w4UXpFC0pz1lOgaZ0S97MJOhGxKPLCzlPxRHYoT2FjSF77oIV3XaTi6OzkktF9XAYlnMKQ9J4XoaLtWGLytXUIZdKo3ZuZDuBLL2B3COlI=w580-h387-no

E59CC527-AA8A-4D16-9E94-A8C581E4691B.jpeg I like the Titanium flasks. You can put anything in them from Scotch to Sulfuric acid. You just have to remember what the last refill was.

BladeScout
Seen those cheap chinese titanium flasks before, what worries me is the soldering and if it contains lead or other toxins, they are so cheap you can get them for ~18 bucks in places.

Does it concern you at all?

Soldering or brazing titanium ?? Have you ever tried to do that ? It'll never work. Welding yes though that would be laser or electron beam.

The 3 flasks in my photo above are made in Japan. They are neither cheap nor inexpensive.

I thought Argon or vacuum furnace can be used to solder/braze titanium?

The flasks I have seen have a silvery metal along seams, it doesn't seem like its pure titanium so whatever it is it worries me.
Soldering or brazing titanium ?? Have you ever tried to do that ? It'll never work. Welding yes though that would be laser or electron beam.

53164588-4FDF-4585-B0BA-53E8D975D360.jpeg You can weld Titanium in an Argon tent or a vacuum chamber to prevent the molten metal from reacting with the air. Titanium can look quite Silvery.

I have a plain stainless steel 8oz flask that someone gave me years ago. I do actually carry it now and then on short walks or hunting simply because it fits in my pocket, so I don't have a water bottle or canteen bangin' around on my belt.

I used to race bikes way back when Mark Wallberg used to be Marky Mark. One of the best bikes I road was a Titan. Frame and forks were all titanium. It's was about $800 and up just for the frame and forks, the reason I heard the cost was so high was they were very difficult to solder. And when it wasn't quite up to par, they would snap like breadsticks right at the weld. Feather light, like pick up a entire bike with a finger.

Any flask I ever bought seemed to be defective or have a leak ... I could make sure to fill them up ... and wouldn't you know as soon as I thought I might need to take a sip ... damned if the things weren't empty ... go figure o_O

C4E31A14-F4D7-429E-B940-00C878C8CF0A.jpeg
I used to race bikes way back when Mark Wallberg used to be Marky Mark. One of the best bikes I road was a Titan. Frame and forks were all titanium. It's was about $800 and up just for the frame and forks, the reason I heard the cost was so high was they were very difficult to solder. And when it wasn't quite up to par, they would snap like breadsticks right at the weld. Feather light, like pick up a entire bike with a finger.
The Teledyne Titan bicycle frame was welded in a vacuum chamber. Teledyne was doing aerospace work so they had all the equipment. My Titan frames weigh 3lbs. each. The ride is a little mushy for racing but perfect for touring. Titanium is not difficult to weld outside of the shielding problem. Most Titanium welds are pretty to look at.

My comments were meant for those many who don't have a vacuum furnace handy. :( If you do have one then ti-ti will do it without the problems of other metals .

Back