Flat Ground compared to Hollow Ground

pm

BANNED
fgvshg.jpg

here's a comparison between the 2 grinds. nothing like a side by side to see fer ya self.

...btw...yep, i'm back from exile. :p

josh paid my "ransom".;)

-pm

oh yeah , here's a pic of the new flat ground MFS.

mfs-fg.jpg

stay tuned for pics of Mick's new slim line concealed carry blade coming soon...

Sorry to sound like a total dumbass, but what is the difference in performance between a hollow and flat ground? Does one cut better, last longer, or is it just for looks or harder to do one than the other?
Sorry for such a basic question that I could ask in the general forum, but I figure I'd get a no BS answer here.
I've got a MFS on order...wonder if it is hollow or flat ground?
thanks in advance,
Derek

Patrick, good to have you back dude:D

Are the new AR's gonna be (drool) flat ground when they come out by any chance:cool:

Would be a perfect companion to the MFS-fg:)

no worries bud, the only "dumbass" is the guy who never asks questions. ;)

re: grinds, there are many pluses and minuses folks can say about each grind, contingent on their personal preferences, tastes, etc.

ultimately, both the hollow grind and flat grind Striders will perform very well in the field.

perhaps, what we have here is more of an asethetic issue than not?

hollow grinds are achieved by the radius found in a grinder wheel. flat grinds are done on flat platen attachment in between two grinder wheels.

hollow grinds have IMO always looked very sexy because of their deep contouring and contrast against the rest of the blade. however, because of the metal removed, the decrease in actual blade mass may be perceived ad "weakening" the blade as we move towards the cutting edge. ie, chisel grinds which have the least amount of mass removed are sometimes believed up to 30% "stronger" than a hollow grind.

flat grinds remove less blade mass and therefore may be perceived as stronger than a hollow grind, plus the cross section of the grind shows that due to the less concave shape, help in "pushing" material away while cutting thru material, esp. noticeable thru something like flesh. hollow grinds create a bit suction thru wet materials. a good test is to cut thru gel medium (stuff used in ballistic tests), to see how each blade grind "feels" while cutting.

i think one of the best blade grinds is the convex type where material is pushed even further away while cutting. this is grind is achieved thru grinding on a slack belt, but a more time consuming process.

overall, if you look at the hollow ground striders, the back or spine of the blade is longer or wider if measured from the perpindicular to the horizon, and less wide when observed on the newer flat grind striders.

both may actually equal each other in measured weight or mass.

i have not yet had a chance to compare two of the same model with both grinds, but when some more MFS's come in we might take 2 examples out to the "TAD blade proving grounds" (our parking lot) and give them both a run thru a variety of materials to see for our selves.

-pm

thanks Lanny!

i would imagine once the next batch of AR's are made, the flat grinds will be the SOP.

the boys are making up some SEAL2001's, BT's, WB's, SA's, (and oh, how could i forget, our TKa's ;))etc. right now to catch up on orders.

they will move to folders sometime after that. i think we might see the next batch sometime in early 2002?

-pm

I've brought this up again because we've been getting a lot of questions regarding this issue.

I have to go clean some gaping flesh now.

Mick

no pain..........no gain!!!! :)
Pat.....is that a crab suspended in a circle under your name....or waht?

Tom,
Call me tomorrow if you are going to NY.
Duane
ps just for fun, lets hear how you guys think Mick created the gaping flesh wound!
Winner gets a free tshirt. (for correct guess)
Duane

I have one knife with a convex grind. It happens to be the one I made myself, and yes, it takes a long F-#@ing time. I however did it not on a slack belt, but on a old Delta Belt sander moving the edge up and down constantly instead of keeping it flat.

If you want to know the hardest, most time consuming way possible to make a knife, ask me, I'm the master of it. (about 35 hours for one fixed blade)

HOWEVER, like PM said, the gind is very strong and it WILL shave hair when sharpened right.

MM

Flat ground ARs and GBs will be the strongest folders on the market. I can't wait for these folders!

Originally posted by Duane Dwyer
ps just for fun, lets hear how you guys think Mick created the gaping flesh wound!
Winner gets a free tshirt. (for correct guess)
Duane

It's not nice to laugh at another knifemakers' pain... :)

Hey, if you don't cut yourself at least once a month, you're not trying hard enough. We've all been there and done that! :D

Since everybody is going to say sharpening a knife, I think it is a cardboard wound from packaging.

Mick,
You don't have to christen knives with your blood. :)

Take care and at least you don't have to get a finger reattached.
Reed

I will guess that he probably cut himself accidently while rescuing a busload of nuns from a burning bus. actually cut himself on a piece of glass.
by the way, I wear a size XL

cheers,
Derek

I will say while he was busy posting replies to our questions he got frustrated typing and attempted to pop a can of refreshment and cut himself on those sharp edges of the can
I wear 3xl please.
Chris

Back