Flaws - I make them

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Guys, I wanted to discuss what I consider a flaw, vs what I consider to be a feature. When using natural materials, they are almost never perfect. I don't go through my expensive and beautiful woods and throw out the imperfect pieces. The flaws in wood, btw, are almost always the prettiest part of the wood and we go after these for handle material. Examples are burls, knots, birdseyes, curly woods, bug infestations, spalting, etc. Also common to most hardwoods are checks. My policy is that if I cause a crack in wood during drilling, or pinning, then it is a flaw. Checks created before I process the wood are not flaws. I treat them professionally, or have them professionally stabalized, and that wood is used on Fiddleback knives. I recently spoke to Chuck Bybee of AKS, and at the time he was filling checks in handle blocks with superglue, and sanding flush. This is industry standard, not some Fiddleback wacko policy.

If at any time you get a knife from me and aren't satisfied, you can return the unused knife within the first month of ownership for a full refund. I'll even pay shipping home.

I love your knives and part of that is the "character" that the handles have.

When using natural materials such as wood, one should expect some uniqueness. I personally prefer some "character" (very aptly stated above) in knife scales!

Back