Flea market haul

Morrow

Don't make this weird
On occasion I'll get up early and visit a local flea market. I never really expect much but I've picked up a couple gems in the past. Sometime I go just to buy old knives I'll know I'll never use. I don't know why I do it but it has a soothing effect so it's worth it. :)

Here is what I got today. Oh...I picked up all these knives for under $35 total.

An Ulster serpentine jack. The blades are in great shape. The main blade opens and closes a bit rough due to some surface corrosion. The pen blade gets a little lazy when being closed but it's a minor thing.

P1010001.jpg

Next up is what I thought was a Queen medium stockman. The blades hardly look used. The handle scales are synthetic witterbottom bone. This is why I thought it was was a Queen but look at the tang stamp. I'm guessing that stamp is for Ontario Knife which would easily explain the use of the handle material.

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

An Imperial Kamp-King. Although quite dirty...found it in tool box....it appears to be unused.

P1010004.jpg

A Queen electrician's knife. It is in good shape...the only real issue is the heavily sharpened blade...no worries though..plenty of life left in it.

P1010005-1.jpg

The next one was a real heart breaker. I got excited when I first spotted this only to have my excitement squashed like a grape. A Robeson 626125 easy open jack. The horror....look at the blades...or lack there of.

P1010006.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

P1010008-1.jpg

:shudder: that poor Robeson.

Nice haul nevertheless.
Are you gonna post some before/after shots?

Peter

Give that Robeson a new life. Grind down the blade stub into a screwdriver or bottle opener, or even a wharncliffe for whittling.
Nice haul.

you could grind that robeson's main blade into a wharncliffe from the tip to the top of that chip at the base of the blade and have a unique, one of a kind old user. :)

you could grind that robeson's main blade into a wharncliffe from the tip to the top of that chip at the base of the blade and have a unique, one of a kind old user. :)

great idea. does anyone have any recommendations on who could do that kind of work?

I think that if you don't go to high, the cutting edge would still be beneath the easy open cutout and the point of the blade would still be hidden.

Nice finds for sure. Is that Ulster Jack 3¼ or 3½? I'm thinkin it's a 55 pattern with a big fat clip.

I think that if you don't go to high, the cutting edge would still be beneath the easy open cutout and the point of the blade would still be hidden.

I just looked at it again and think you are right. Now I just need to find someone to do the grinding. I'll call Tom Krein but I think he's a bit busy filling those Dingo orders.

Under $35 for all of them? You made out like a bandit. :D Where is this place? I personally like old knives that have been used and abused. They have character and history. Nice finds.

Back