Flipper action on ZT 0801 vs. 0600 vs. 056X vs. 0777

Let's not forget the Tilt it is by far the best flipper I have or have ever held. It is just perfection!

Anyone have a Tilt and a 0801 or 0600? If so how do they compare?

I could compare them in a couple days, but I say my Tilt looses. The action on my Tilt is smooth but not perfect. I guess it's because the balls of the kvt dig into the soft titanium liner on mine leaving a slight groove.

BTW Does the 0801 have a rolling detent? Anybody can confirm this?

I have a TiLT, and 0600. As you can see.

My TiLT's action is a lot quicker, and smoother than my 0600. But I haven't flipped my 0600 as much as my TiLT, so that may change.

Well put Stick! A good flipper is a mix of the detent and smoothness of the pivot.

Smoothness of the pivot has something to do with it but I think its overall resistance in general that really hinders a good flipper. And from what Ive seen some washer knives are just as smooth as any bearing flippern. Its been my experience that its the drag and subsequent resistance created by the detent ball rubbing on the blade tang that can make a flipper seem like its not smooth. If now if they could create a detent ball that actually spun or make a detent with a rotating needle bearing that would be the smoothest and fastest flipper possible.

Let's not forget the Tilt it is by far the best flipper I have or have ever held. It is just perfection!

Anyone have a Tilt and a 0801 or 0600? If so how do they compare?

My TiLT flipper opens assuredly and with authority. It's a long blade. It's faster than the 0600 (which has a longer & heavier blade) but not as fast the 0800 which on mine snaps to attention on demand.

All three TiLT, 0600 and 0800 open with ease no matter which direction the blade is pointing, that is, up, horizontal or down with angles in between.

I started experimenting with my 0560/1 flippers and the only time they deploy 100% is when I point the folder down and seemingly the weight of the blade helps open it with ease. Horizontal is iffy with some opening and finally none open all the way if you're pointing up. So, I guess with my four 0560/1 folders I have to remember to point down! SUL!

Honestly my best functioning flipper is actually a CRKT foresight. The detent is set that it wont let go of the blade without a full lock up. Yet it doesnt seem particularly difficult to fire. My 0600 is my second best as far as function but actually first place in feel. Absolute perfection really as it is just so easy to fire and it makes not sound as the blade rotates. It just exudes the feeling of quality. ZT seriously just keeps getting better and better.

My favorite flipper now is the ZT 0801 which pushed out my Camillus Cuda Dominator Tanto into second place. I like them to open snappy and with authority from any angle.

I have the Tilt, 0600, and 0801. The 0801 has the strongest detent, and flies open the fastest. The Tilt has the weakest detent of them, but the pivot is so very smooth, that it glides open without much force. It actually feels like a 0777, but without the snappy detent. The 0600 is right in the middle, and has a very fluid, roll-y kind of travel and a rather robust detent, but not snappy like the 0801 or 0777.

Now, I've got two 0600s here, and serial number 0002 has a stronger detent than 0003. They are both extremely fluid, but 0002 takes less force to let go.

It's interesting, all this fuss about flipper action and deployment... for me all this is just extra luxury, as I've gotten used to flipping open the Skyline. There is a technique to opening all these knives that carries over from one model to the next. However the detent is set up, in my opinion, just means that it takes less and less technique.

I think that since these are manual knives, users should be practicing a bit to learn how best to deploy and use the knife instead of worrying about having a detent tuned so that you don't have to actually do any work. To me at least, being able to deploy a manual knife (via thumb studs or flipper) is a skill most folks should have, just like being able to start a fire with a striker. I can deploy my Skyline and Tilt as consistently as my Tilt or my 0560CBCF, and all the XM-18s I've had.

My TiLT flipper opens assuredly and with authority. It's a long blade. It's faster than the 0600 (which has a longer & heavier blade) but not as fast the 0800 which on mine snaps to attention on demand.

All three TiLT, 0600 and 0800 open with ease no matter which direction the blade is pointing, that is, up, horizontal or down with angles in between.

I started experimenting with my 0560/1 flippers and the only time they deploy 100% is when I point the folder down and seemingly the weight of the blade helps open it with ease. Horizontal is iffy with some opening and finally none open all the way if you're pointing up. So, I guess with my four 0560/1 folders I have to remember to point down! SUL!

Mine used to be like that. Now much smoother. I have no idea why it changed other than that I started using Tuff Glide, but I sort of agree that a little dot of lube on the detente ball goes a long way.

Honestly my best functioning flipper is actually a CRKT foresight. The detent is set that it wont let go of the blade without a full lock up. Yet it doesnt seem particularly difficult to fire.

I have the same experience with my Eros, although initially the detente was viciously difficult to deploy. Of course, it's also a pretty small knife so there's not much mass with the blade. I think it weighs less than an eyebrow hair.

I think that since these are manual knives, users should be practicing a bit to learn how best to deploy and use the knife instead of worrying about having a detent tuned so that you don't have to actually do any work. To me at least, being able to deploy a manual knife (via thumb studs or flipper) is a skill most folks should have, just like being able to start a fire with a striker. I can deploy my Skyline and Tilt as consistently as my Tilt or my 0560CBCF, and all the XM-18s I've had.
This!

I think that most knives can be opened regardless of the detents strength. It certainly helps, but with the right technique you can probably open just about any knife.

This!

I think that most knives can be opened regardless of the detents strength. It certainly helps, but with the right technique you can probably open just about any knife.

Have you handled a Kershaw Lahar? It's impossible I tell ya :D

I have the same experience with my Eros, although initially the detente was viciously difficult to deploy. Of course, it's also a pretty small knife so there's not much mass with the blade. I think it weighs less than an eyebrow hair.

The CRKT Eros K455TXP is an extremely light and fast gentleman's tactical flipper with an extremely sharp 3" Acuto+ blade, titanium scales & frame lock all weighing in at 1.4 ounces! I have two of them, one I use regularly and the other as backup plus I've given away two as gifts and the receivers just love it too.

As far as my personal KAI flippers go, I would rank them in this order:

1. ZT 0600 #310 -- Super smooth. I like my blades to snap open fast, but something about this weighty thunk makes me smile. I've been carrying it the last few days and it had slowed down on me even though I lubed it a teensy bit with NanoOil. I started looking at it and it had a hair and some lint around the ball bearings. So, I used some pressure duster and sprayed it all out and its back to its magical self.

2. Kershaw TiLT #403 -- a few folks have said their TiLT has a weker detent. Not mine. My TiLT has probably the strongest detent out of all listed. It snaps open with authority

3. ZT 0600 #257 -- Weaker detent that #310, but super super smooth. Requires a bit more skill, but if I end up selling this one, if the person has the right technique, they'll love it. I just like my detent a bit stronger

4. ZT 0777 #109 -- There's not anything that I can specifically fault with the 777's flipping action. I love the knife. The detent is perfect and it flies open in any position.......fast. AS much as I like Carbon Fiber, I think the lightness of the blade and especially the scales make this one just not feel exactly right for me. I rarely have a tendency to hit the lockbar while flipping this one, but even that doesn't stop it from opening, only slows it down.

5. ZT 0560 CBCF #147 -- Nothing necessarily bad about this one either. I mean, the fact is, we're splitting hairs here and much of this is about personal preference. I've just never been the biggest fan of the 056x flipping action. Admittedly, this one is much better that the 0560 that I sold a while back, but its a bit rough on the fingers, despite the nice snap.

6. Kershaw Volt 3600 #198 -- OK, now here's a flipper that just doesn't flip nearly as well as it could. When I first bought this bad boy, it was smooth as silk, but slower than molasses. I've since put some teflon washers in it and lubed it and it will open with a bit more speed, but its nowhere near the performance of the newer flippers. Also, the shape and tiny pocket clip and the slick felel makes it hard to get a good grip, but when you do, you end up pressing the lockbar, and this knife is REALLY finicky about anything even looking at the lockbar wrong. I really feel like if they were going to make this knife a flipper, they should have at least put some thumbstuds on it, too. Knife is beautiful as can be, but I just don't find it functional. I said I was gonna sell it when I got my 0600, but I haven't decided yet.

I've got an 801CF on pre-order. I hope that those turn out great since the 801's seem to be making a lot of people really happy.

Let me add that I, also, have a CRKT Eros............freaking awesome little knife. It weighs next to nothing and people freak out thinking I have a tiny switchblade when I open it because it deploys so damn fast. I always carry one little "pen knife" style knife and one big knife. So, right now my combo is the CRKT Eros and the ZT 0600..........I think its as godd of a combination of knives as you'll find.

Have a good one and enjoy your knives!!

Smoothness of the pivot has something to do with it but I think its overall resistance in general that really hinders a good flipper. And from what Ive seen some washer knives are just as smooth as any bearing flippern. Its been my experience that its the drag and subsequent resistance created by the detent ball rubbing on the blade tang that can make a flipper seem like its not smooth. If now if they could create a detent ball that actually spun or make a detent with a rotating needle bearing that would be the smoothest and fastest flipper possible.
Jake Hoback already invented that. It is called the Hoback Roller Detent.
[video=youtube;imlppF4q2i0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imlppF4q2i0[/video]
I have the Tilt, 0600, and 0801. The 0801 has the strongest detent, and flies open the fastest. The Tilt has the weakest detent of them, but the pivot is so very smooth, that it glides open without much force. It actually feels like a 0777, but without the snappy detent. The 0600 is right in the middle, and has a very fluid, roll-y kind of travel and a rather robust detent, but not snappy like the 0801 or 0777.

It's interesting, all this fuss about flipper action and deployment... for me all this is just extra luxury, as I've gotten used to flipping open the Skyline. There is a technique to opening all these knives that carries over from one model to the next. However the detent is set up, in my opinion, just means that it takes less and less technique.
The 0801 has a nice strong detent. I agree. Basically once it is started going out it is hard to get it to not fully open.

I also agree on the technique of flipping. I have zero problems with bearing-less flippers.

I've got an 801CF on pre-order. I hope that those turn out great since the 801's seem to be making a lot of people really happy.

Same here. If the flipper action on the 0801CF is the same as the 0801 it's a big winner. Of course, it has stunning looks to boot!

If you get to handle a 0801 I think it'll rank at the top of your list as well. :)

My least favorite flipper is a Fox 599 Karambit knife. I don't know why they even put a flipper tab on that thing but it only deploys about an 1/8th of an inch with the flipper. Of course the Emerson wave works great.

Back