Flooding

u812

Gold Member
Anyone else in all this mess? We have had 12.55 in of rain so far this month. Many homes flooded out. Flooded in places I have never seen it flood. I spent from 9:30 PM last light til 5 AM this morning trying to stay ahead of water pushing up through a crack in my basement floor. Lost the battle when the vac gave out.Water still bubbling up. At least I have a drain I opened up in the basement floor so it is not getting any deeper than about a half inch in places. My house was built in 1946 and this has not ever happened except the time the city sewer tap was broken and rain water backed up through the drain in the floor. Hoping the ground water will drop enough so it will stop soon so I can get it cleaned up. All in all I am lucky compared to a lot of people in E TN. The news does not seem to be reporting it as bad as it really is. In the past 24 hours just in my county we have had 4 landslides I now of,4 roads completely washed away, about a dozen roads closed and lots of houses bad enough to have to evacuate.
Prayers to any that are dealing with this.

Yup, I'm in Middle TN, not as bad for the landslides likely as where you're at, but lots of dirt roads washed out, debris, homes flooded in low lying areas...

It's looking like now I've seen TWO 1,000 year floods now in my timeline...as if I wasn't feeling ancient already. :rolleyes:

Stay safe and I've got a dry place on top of a hill if you need shelter. Thankfully, I believe the cold front cleared the atmosphere over our area.

Not in this mess now, but feeling for you as I know that the basement door water challenge is a huge headache even if you win.

If you lose and water gets in, a tip I learned from experience is to keep the lights on and get fans to keep the air moving even after you get rid of the water that you can see and collect with towels... So that you don't have mold or mildew.

Stay safe and good luck!

Last edited:
Yup, I'm in Middle TN, not as bad for the landslides likely as where you're at, but lots of dirt roads washed out, debris, homes flooded in low lying areas...

It's looking like now I've seen TWO 1,000 year floods now in my timeline...as if I wasn't feeling ancient already. :rolleyes:

Stay safe and I've got a dry place on top of a hill if you need shelter. Thankfully, I believe the cold front cleared the atmosphere over our area.
We have had several paved roads go. Here is a link to our counties FB gossip page. Shows a lot of the aftermath.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/HappeningNowinRoaneTN/

I'm in Western NC, right on the Tennessee line.
I know Tennessee is one hurtin unit right now.
Much more rain, and WNC will be the same.

Wait till spring comes and all the snow in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan areas all melt at the same time, carrying melted water down the rivers. Hopefully it's not that bad come spring but for my area, it routinely floods every spring. Lucky for me, my house is about 30 to 50 feet above the river shoreline in backyard. Will take a 10,000 year flood to reach the house.

Back