Flying. Can I check an auto in my checked luggage?

IANAL but, it seems to me if the knife is legal in both jurisdictions it should be permissible. Probably worth calling the airline(s) and getting them to put it in writing if they say it's ok.

I never check a knife that I want to keep. Too many sticky fingers in the baggage handling industry. Fly with cheap knives!
Or no knives which gives you a reason to buy a knife once you arrive. To be safe you then mail that knife home before you fly back. There are boxes of mostly junk but sometimes good knives on GovDeals that used to belong to people that learned that lesson the hard way.

I fly all over with knives and guns in my baggage/suitcase (not carry-on).

Guns must be checked through security.

Legal knives - no need to check - just pack them in some socks and fly away!

Last edited:
I can see how an OTF might be an issue to the federal government. I would tread very carefully (I do not claim to be familiar with such laws).

For various reasons I would simply buy a small, quick, sturdy, one-hand knife for travel purposes -- and pack it securely in the bottom of my check bag. US baggage handlers aren't going to spend 5 minutes rummaging through an unremarkable bag in hopes of finding a random something stuck in the pants pocket of some person's jeans.

I recently flew internationally with a connection in Europe. I intentionally kept a cheaper automatic (Kershaw Launch 11) in my toiletry bag in my check-in luggage. It made both ways without any problem.

Basically if knife is legal on both ends - no worry
But remember - there were overzealous bureaucrats and ordinary thughs everywhere !
At the end everything was prefect, but you landed without your precious cargo ...

Is this a commercial flight where your carry on luggage will be checked by TSA?

Pocket Knife​

Carry On Bags: No
Checked Bags: Yes
In general, you are prohibited from traveling with sharp objects in your carry-on baggage; please pack these items in your checked baggage.
For more prohibited items, please go to the 'What Can I Bring?' page.

Sometimes you might get through, other times you might not.
I would pack any valuable knife I would mind getting confiscated in check-in.

Basically if knife is legal on both ends - no worry
But remember - there were overzealous bureaucrats and ordinary thughs everywhere !
At the end everything was prefect, but you landed without your precious cargo ...

This is NOT a completely true statement.

IF there are no stops between origination and destination, you're fine.

However, if you have something in your checked luggage that is illegal in a country that is a layover/transfer/refueling stop, that country's customs police WILL confiscate it AND MAY throw you in the pokey as well. Case in point - Hong Kong - Hong Kong customs officials check ALL checked luggage passing through their airport, whether staying or just passing through.

Since Hong Kong's independence has gone the way of the dodo, I suspect the same would be true for a flight that landed in any other Chinese airport as well.

I have friends who bought knives that were perfectly legal in both the Philippines and the US that took off from Manila, landed in Hong Kong for whatever and they were subsequently arrested and spent a time in the local jail and paid big fines before release.

This is a domestic U.S. flight from somewhere in Southern Califiornia to Nevada. Which means there will be a TSA screening/carry on bagge check prior boarding.
Knives are not permitted. Even scissors are not allowed onboard. I must assume the OP has no flying experience to even post this question.
The probibition on knives onboard planes has nothing to do with what knives are legal here or there.
If carrying that OTF is important, he can take a bus.
He's talking checked luggage vs carry on. You can check any knife as long as it's legal in both locations. As others have said, it my get "lost" along the way.

He's talking checked luggage vs carry on. You can check any knife as long as it's legal in both locations. As others have said, it my get "lost" along the way.
Ah ok. Yes, no problem in checked luggage. And yes there's the risk of getting "lost" in transit.

I have just studied the laws, which rival the Bible for being open to interpretation. But while it is illegal to ship an auto across state lines USING THE USPS, you can carry an auto across state lines as long as it is legal in the state of your destination. So I think you can check it in luggage, but I AM NOT A LAWYER.

Back