Flying with a knife

Flying to Seattle to see my daughter for 2 weeks,really want to take my Sebenza.I haven't flown in years..is theft with checked baggage a big problem?thanks

It's enough of a problem that I would be concerned with a knife that expensive, especially since they are going to x-ray your bags and see something there. It would probably be safer to Priority Mail it insured to your daughter's address ahead of the trip, but by the time you do that on the way back, it becomes pretty expensive. Maybe check one of your less expensive knives and live without the Sebbie for a fortnight?

2 weeks? Ship it to her and then ship it back? or I'm sure there are some knife shops in Seattle.

You can chance it
Bring something else
Overnight/mail it to yourself and back.
Or
Find a retailer in Seattle and buy a new one, and just gift it to your daughter when you leave.

I'd do what a couple of other people have suggested and just mail it to yourself with tracking and insurance.

My latest trick might help.
Does it have a lanyard hole? Put a thin cable lock through it and fix it to something in your suitcase. You might have telescopic arms from the handle extend through the case. Wrap it around it.

Other people disassemble it and carry parts spread out over their luggage. Just need to bring the right tools along to reassemble.

Same suggestion as above, disassemble it, you don't really have to scatter every part, just separate the blade from the handle and keep the hex key with you.

With a less expensive knife I'd risk it or try something like Jens suggested. With that knife I would ship it.

Thanks for the replies..cable lock is a good idea,might look into that,or just throw a Delica in there

My latest trick might help.
Does it have a lanyard hole? Put a thin cable lock through it and fix it to something in your suitcase. You might have telescopic arms from the handle extend through the case. Wrap it around it.

Other people disassemble it and carry parts spread out over their luggage. Just need to bring the right tools along to reassemble.

That's a great idea. I'll zip tie my knife to my dirty underwear next time I fly :D

I usually just take less expensive knives when I travel. But the last family trip I ended up taking multiples that added up to more than the cost of a Seb, but wanted options. Different blades for hiking, beach, and dining.

Theft is always possible. But with millions of bags in transit, the odds are really quite small. Especially if you are using busy airports and direct flights. Less chance for your bag to end up in some dark corner with a bored employee.

Buy a new knife there, (Oregon is close... LOL)

And ship it back when you're done... Or any of the other options. ... I flew very shortly after 9-11 and hadn't thought about my knife. Last second I taped it to the inside of a large cardboard box provided by the airline and checked it. got it fine...

I usually just take less expensive knives when I travel. But the last family trip I ended up taking multiples that added up to more than the cost of a Seb, but wanted options. Different blades for hiking, beach, and dining.

Theft is always possible. But with millions of bags in transit, the odds are really quite small. Especially if you are using busy airports and direct flights. Less chance for your bag to end up in some dark corner with a bored employee.

I would say some of the busier airports could be worse. Have you ever been to Newark?

My general rule of thumb: if you're worried about losing it, bring one you're not worried about losing.
Alternatively, mail it, fully insured.

Good advice here. Seems like the only problem is security of your possessions, not TSA regulations on having a knife in your checked luggage.

Zieg

Good advice here. Seems like the only problem is security of your possessions, not TSA regulations on having a knife in your checked luggage.

Zieg
That's for sure. TSA is fine with swords in checked in luggage. Always has been even a few weeks after 9/11 when I had to travel.

Some guys check in their guns or even starter pistols or non functional replicas seprately. These go through a different channel and are all sealed and what not and nobody ever had one stolen. Into the gun case you could put your knives and other stuff these thieving thieves would steal otherwise.

If you're not checking luggage, I can't see spending the money for checked luggage just to take your favorite letter opener. (If you haven't flown in awhile, checked luggage is $60 or more a bag, based on airline.)

If you are checking luggage, get a little security cable, pass it through the knife and lock it into your bag so it can't be easily pilfered. Cheap and easy solution.

"favorite letter opener"nice..Southwest airlines 2 free bags.might look into the cable,but probably just throw a Delica in there.

Back