Recommendation? Flytanium or upgraded steel, PM2

Hey guys. I bought a brand new PM2 years ago on sale in satin blade, digicam scales. I'm not a fan of digicam but the price was right and it was my first PM2. No sentimental attachment though.

I'm wanting to either change the look or buy another. Curious which route you'd go and why.

My question to you is... do I do lynch clip, flytanium carbon fiber scales & titanium hardware or do I buy the blade hq exclusive blue/purple?

I don't think the blurple scales are BladeHQ exclusive. Never really checked though.

Digicam takes a nice pattern when RIT dyed. But the PM2 also has great aftermarket scale options. Myself, I'd probably go flytanium, if not dyeing the scales.

Depends...what is more desirable TO YOU - a new look, or upgraded steel?

Digicam takes a nice pattern when RIT dyed.
The pattern is the pattern, its not going to change; but I agree that a good dye job makes a significant aesthetic improvement. Using a dark color (navy blue, for example) reduces the visual contrast by simplfying the color scheme... the pattern showing as different shades.

PM2 scales are (imo) improved by softening the edges. It's a simple task with sandpaper or a dremel. Clean the scale afterwards with alcohol, then dye it. It's a simple, inexpensive project... and if you don't like the results, you can always buy new scales (and there are numerous options from which to choose)

*edited to add: the s110v blurple PM2 is NOT an exclusive.

I'm not a steel snob but I'm curious what the edge retention difference is between the two. It would be about 145 to do the current pm2 up and running or 185 for the blurple pm2

Instead of buying precut scales.
Hit up a few members on BF who.make
custom scales.
Boomer52.
And a few others on
The Custom Shop: Services Offered

I did red RIT dye on my digicam and I thought it looked great, plus it is very inexpensive to do. I might try the blue if I did it again.

If I was going to go beyond the digicam then the easiest thing to do would be to find one in blurple/S110V, and that's a very good steel. Other steel options are hard to find, but note that if you get S110V you will probably need new sharpening gear.

I would get the scales and clip, make it your own.
I also disliked the esthetics of my camo pm2, same deal, price was right and I didn't think it would bother me. Burlap micarta fixed that, nice organic feel and traction.
You can always and probably will get another PM2 later, try to score a sprint instead of the S110.

My green digi-cam PM2 isn't exactly my favorite scale color, but it doesn't bother me enough for me to change it. The PM2 digi-cam dye jobs that I've seen posted here from time to time look pretty good, especially the black ones. Dying yours & adding a new clip is going to be the least expensive route, and while s30v may not be one of the new super steels, it still makes a good blade.

Back