Folder EDC, <$50, <=3"?

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on an EDC folder, absolutely no more than 3 inch blade, and no more than about $50 at 1sks.com.

For the moment, I'm looking at the Camillius / D. Ralph EDC Frame lock, the Spyderco Delica, and one of the CRKT M16.

I'd definitely consider others, but *please* limit your opinion to those factors - no "if you're willing to spend $100 more and get a 3.5 inch blade, ...."

Thanks,

JD

Great question. I'd very much like a locking, non-serrated blade.

I may get flamed for this, but I really like my aluminum Kershaw Scallion as an EDC. It does my mild cutting, and it always feels nice when it pops open. Of course if you are surrounded by sheeple, they may get a little antsy at the assisted opening. ;)

I also love the little Kabar / Dozier folders for EDC beater blades. There is not a better $20 you can drop on a knife.

I don't own a Camillus yet, but the Delica is also a good choice.

Verax

Thanks - I don't want the assisted opening as I think it would send me to courts so fast my head would spin. It *is* a cool knife though.

Kershaw Ken Onion Vapor. Far enough under you r $ amount that you could get two, and its still a very good knife.

My two favorite smallish knives.The Camillus EDC is a great choice and equally nice is the Spyderco FRN Native. Both 3 inch blades, both about 50.00. They are two great options to go with.:D

the exchange forum, here? You may be able to get a knife that WAS over $50 when the first guy bought it but will be in your price range, now. That's how I got my Spyderco Rescue ($30 shipped). And it was in perfect shape.

Frank

Joss -

I've been carrying a Benchmade 556 mini-Griptilian for the last month. Great, solid knife, under 3", and could probably be found for about $50 (may have to ask 1SKS to price match). In addition, it comes in your choice of black, blue, purple, or green FRN! :)

Good luck,

Matthew

I think the FRN/PE Delica would serve you well. The Delica is lightweight but strong, has awesome ergonomics, excellent blade materiel (be sure to get one in VG-10)and is backed by Spyderco's commitment to stand by it's product. It would serve you well for many years to come.

I've been carrying the Leek, Vapor, and/or Camillus EDC as my 'EDC's' for around 6 months now, with the Camillus EDC being the favorite...

We've picked up around 6 of these here on the forums for <$50 each, and each has been a great knife for the money...unfortunately, I also give these away on a regular basis to friends/family/co-workers.

Currently have one of each, but after this weekend should have 'none of each' (family reunion)...so I'll be back on the market soon. ;)

Good luck in your quest,

Mel

To satisfy our knife addiction - what addiction?

I suggest buying TWO knives and either EDC both, or you can immediately alternate between the 2 to suit the occassion:

Kershaw/Ken Onion Vapor as some have already suggested - a very good Frame-Lock for $20 from most Wal*Marts.
See this review/thread:

Frame-Locks (ala Sebenza)

and

a Victorinox SAK for under $30 -

I'm pretty sure you can get the discontinued Yeoman still, for about $25 - here's a pic:
fc6e2d3a.jpg

The Victorinox Yeoman is basically the very sought after Scientist with scissors (and that ubiquitous multi-purpose hook) added.

Or to satisfy a "pliers" craving - the Vic Mechanic:
53441_l.jpg

or even the Deluxe Tinker can still be under $30:
53481_l.jpg

But even better is to have the fun selecting just the right SAK model for yourself..........

IF you can live with a blade that is just a bare smidge over 3", I think that you should check out the Spyderco Native III. They have been running right around $45.

I recently bought a Vapor as a travel knife that won't make me cry if it disappears from my check luggage when flying like a missing Microtech would. I find myself carrying it around the house once in a while just for fun when I'm doing chores. It does seem to be the most knife you can buy for $20.00.

For a few bucks more in your price range I might look at the medium Cold Steel Voyagers. Several blade configurations and a real strong lock. If you can find old stock you get an AUS-8 blade steel which comes razor sharp and is pretty easy to return to razor sharp with any decent sharpener.

You just missed an awesome deal in the Exchange here. Someone had a NIB Benchmade 705 Axis for $50.00! That's a hell of a deal on a great knife!

Bought at or near retail, the Camillus EDC in 154 would probably be my first choice though.

jmx

I think the two you started out with are the best overall choices, given the factors you specified. They are both well-designed, well-contructed knives with excellent blade steels. The EDC is a little nicer looking and the Delica is a little tougher. You can't go wrong with either.

--Bob Q

another vote here for the BM 555 or 556, just depends on whether you prefer opening holes or thumbstuds.

if you buy anything else im sure you will still end up with a griptilian sooner or later ;)

i have the 555s and haven't found another knife i like as much for anywhere near the price.

hth

Originally posted by hotel kilo
another vote here for the BM 555 or 556, just depends on whether you prefer opening holes or thumbstuds.

I like them a lot, but they're 40% above my price limit.

Back