Folder Locks

Has anyone put together a review of folder locking mechanism designs?

What are your thoughts of the current state of the art?

Thanks,
Rich

My impressions of the most common ones:

Lock-back: Can be very good depending on how robustly it is made, but weaker designs are less secure. Drawbacks are that some can be unlocked by grip pressure and one-handed closing is less convenient on some designs. Inexpensive to manufacture. Equally convenient with right or left hand.

liner-lock: My least favorite. Convenient closing, but many concerns about lock strength/reliability. Possible accidental opening with a twisting grip. Fingers must be in blade closing path to unlock. Needs tight manufacturing tolerances. Quality manufacturers can make very good ones, and I believe Benchmade has a good process with an enhancement to the geometry.

frame-lock: My favorite. Similar to liner-lock, but beefier with drawbacks largely removed. Possibly the design with the highest inherent strength. Simple. Normally limits knife style to all metal designs. Typically takes a lot of force to disengage the lock, which can be rough on fingers.

Axis-lock (Benchmade) and similar rolling lock, etc.: These designs seem to avoid all the drawbacks of the other designs. Very strong and easy to use with safe release since your fingers do not have to be in the blade's closing path. Accidental release seems very unlikely. One factor is that many of these knives can be opened with a flip of the wrist. This is a nice feature for some users and a legal problem for others. In my state (NC), it is illegal to conceal a knife that can be opened in this manner. Otherwise, it would be my favorite lock. Equally convenient with right or left hand.

Compression lock (Spyderco):
Variation on liner lock with increased strength and safety. I have limited personal experience with it, but it appears to be an excellent lock with no obvious drawbacks except that unlocking it is slightly akward to me.

The lock-back is a good lock, It's just not the Latest, and Greatest.

I think Spydercos new Phantom-Lock (Just a modified Lock-Back)
is AWESOME, Especially for a small knife like there Meerkat.

I hope it gets used on some other knives, No fear of it closeing
on me, and pretty easy to use, and the fun part: hand it
to a right-handed person, THEY open it, and can't close it!
Hand it to a Left-handed, and they can't open it one-handed :)
(Note you can open a Meerkat with only your left-hand you just
can't use the Spyder-Hole:))
:D

Originally posted by Atrick-Pay
[BI hope it gets used on some other knives, No fear of it closeing
on me, and pretty easy to use, and the fun part: hand it
to a right-handed person, THEY open it, and can't close it!
Hand it to a Left-handed, and they can't open it one-handed :)
(Note you can open a Meerkat with only your left-hand you just
can't use the Spyder-Hole:))
:D [/B]

:confused: :confused: :confused:
I can open and close my Meerkat both right and left handed and I'm not exactly ambidextrous, let alone the world's most coordinated guy.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Axis lock just like a semi-auto folder to me ! as auto is not allowed even "Speed Safe" in Hong Kong. Axis is the most happy one I got!
pull down the lock button a gentle swing will keep the blade in open position as well a gentle swing will close the blade! the stoping rod position made no rebound when opening even a hard swing! :p

Lock-back: It has withstood the test of time and is a very reliable and solid lock.

Liner-lock and frame-lock: they work great at locking the blade open (especially the frame-lock), but I just don't trust them to stay closed.

Axis-lock and Arc-lock: I have'nt played with them enough to have formed an opinion.

Latch-lock (ala Balisong): Simply the strongest and most reliable lock on a folding knife (IMO).

My favorites:
The Phantom-lock for the cleverness and trickery of the design (and I can open mine with the left or right hand using the spyderhole too-- but it's much more cool to flick it open).

The BladeLOCK (a Walker design) for the genius and simple operation of this lock. And it locks open and locks closed (but it is for right-handed folks only).

Good luck,
Allen.

well nothing wrong w/a lock back, or liner lock imho as long as its a good quality knife (ie BM, emerson, spydie, etc)

my current fav is the BM axis lock, they are state of the art imho, and are nothing at all like a rolling lock, of which i have one too..( i think a custom w/a rolling lock from crawford could have some merit...)

frame locks are good too

sifu

I have to give big kudos to Benchmade for the Axis Lock. It is quite simply a brilliant piece of engineering. I actually haven't experienced serious difficulty with any of the widley used locking systems when they are employed by experienced makers, but I do give the Axis Lock the nod for all around ease of use and safety...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Dr.V, To really understand the state of the art in folder locks
a rudimentuary knowledge of joinery and metallurgy is required.
Consider that in order to "lock" any folder it is necessary to work
only with the very small blade tang to accomplish the lock.

Basicly there are two surfaces that are available to support a lock,
the rear of the tang for liner or frame locks which presents a small
surface area for engagment or the top of the tang which offers more
workable area, with machining , to support the vaious lock types.

The top of the tang can be used for everything from slipjoints
to lockbacks to lock open a folder. Every other type of lock
that engages the top of the tang is a lockback no matter what
marketing name is applied to it. That is why there are so many
"lockback's" on the market.

For me the most effective type of folder lock is the old fashioned
Lockback (110 type) due to the extended engagment of the lock
tang INTO the tang of the blade interlocking fore and aft movement
of the blade. Given a stout pivot pin this type of lock will be the very
best up to the point of failure at which time the user has exceeded the
design limits of the knife causing the failure.

I've found that there are well made locks that work fine and poorly made locks that you cannot trust.

Show me a $10.00 made in China and I'll tell you that I don't trust the lock. Buy a Benchmade, Barr, Carson, Emerson, Watson ... and I'll trust the lock, whatever type.

I think the axis or arch lock is the only way to go I've had them all and the axis not only locks more solid then anything else out there but it also keeps the knife closed and helps with the smooth action of the blade. A back lock is simply a two handed close which I don't care for. And the liner lock it just untrust worthy I've never owned one that didn't move on me at least a little. The only liner I would trust is the CRKT cause they have a seperate lock to lock the liner lock in place, but that seems like a band aid fix. The frame lock I find totally revolting cause they don't move in very far on the blade and I'd rather the handle didn't move when I'm trying to beat the crap out of my blade. And Yes that means I don't like the Sebenza :eek:

Back