Folders with a Weak Detent

In his review of the Spyderco Amalgam and Spyderco Mantra 3, Nick Shabazz stated that the detent on those knives is not very strong and can shake free with very little effort, which could cause problems in some states (like California for example). What do you guys think? Potentially problematic to carry one in California?

The statute in California state law that refers to detents (CA pc 17235) says that to avoid being considered a "switchblade" a folder needs "a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position".

If you hold the closed knife horizontal with the ground, with the back of the blade facing down, and the blade doesn't swing down out of the handle under its own weight, then I personally wouldn't be concerned. I carry a 4" Cold steel Tilite with a modified detent that can easily be flicked open, but that passes the test I've described (even shaking won't cause the blade to drop). As long as the knife actually has a detent, and the blade doesn't swing out under it's own weight, I think a prosecutor would be hard pressed to prove that the knife doesn't have a "biases toward its closed position". But these are just my opinions, and not case law. Use your own judgement.

Tightening the pivot might also help prevent a "gravity" opening for those that may be concerned.

The statute in California state law that refers to detents (CA pc 17235) says that to avoid being considered a "switchblade" a folder needs "a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position".

If you hold the closed knife horizontal with the ground, with the back of the blade facing down, and the blade doesn't swing down out of the handle under its own weight, then I personally wouldn't be concerned. I carry a 4" Cold steel Tilite with a modified detent that can easily be flicked open, but that passes the test I've described (even shaking won't cause the blade to drop). As long as the knife actually has a detent, and the blade doesn't swing out under it's own weight, I think a prosecutor would be hard pressed to prove that the knife doesn't have a "biases toward its closed position". But these are just my opinions, and not case law. Use your own judgement.

Tightening the pivot might also help prevent a "gravity" opening for those that may be concerned.

Thanks. From the video it seems that a little shaking causes the knife to open under its own weight, so probably not a knife to take a chance with in CA.

I can NYC shake open backlock knives like a Stretch or Endura. And lots of other folks can do the same.

Once you can figure out that motion for a particular knife not much can stop you from opening it like that; even if technically the flipper tab is faster.

Back