Folding Saws

Last deer huning season I borrowed a new Browning folding saw. It was super sharp and even the course blade for wood made short work of halving the carcass through bone. The saw could be flicked open like a folding knife, and locked open with a button release.

The Gerber interchangeable blade with bone and wood saw looks excellent too. Said to weight only about 6 oz. I'm not so sure that it is not what Browning uses.

The Corona pruning saws have been used for years, and are efficient cutters. They generally seem to have a longer blade. The one I have used to prune around the house and to cut Xmas trees has a 10" blade.The sport saws appear to have blades about 6-8".

The folding saw seems like a good survival tool given the relatively light weight and effective use on wood material, say to 4" or so.

Any experiances with these for building shelters, etc?

I have two other saws that I like!

The first one is a STANLY folding saw that used reciprocating saw blades! You can store extra blades in the handle. It is light and compact. The blades are only about 5" long, but it works well.

The second is an aluminum BOW saw that opens into a triangular shape. It folds down into a long piece with the handle folded beside it. The blades store within the long part. I believe it is called the Saws-All, but I'm not sure. It sells for about $20, but I found mine in a discount bin at a Scheels Sports for $5. It was missing ONE SCREW! I replaced it and have been using it for YEARS!
smile.gif

Good luck!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

Back