Food-safe oils for rust prevention?

What is the best food-safe oil to use to prevent rust on my blades? I would like to use something common around the house rather than make a special purchase, if possible.

Food grade mineral oil, get it at the pharmacy.
Lubricates and protects blades and handles, and my canes.

This is kind of an opinion question. Anything that is an oil or fat from anything will work as a food safe rust inhibitor. My choice would be a mineral oil or any good vegetable based oil. I have prepped food with rem oil but It will give you lucid dreams and some other interesting side effects. all kidding aside anything non toxic, non taste is fine. stick to the basics.:thumbup:

Is Vaseline safe for contact with food?

Yes it is okay.

It has no added colors, flavors, scents, or anything nasty. It can be applied to the body externally without harm. All it is is 100% petroleum jelly.

I suppose if you ate a handful of it you would get the runs, but if you eat that much of any oil you will probably get the runs.

The small amount you would put on a blade will not harm you. It would be easy to wipe off before cutting anyhow. The wax they put on apples is probably worse for you (try scraping the skin of an apple and see how much wax you can get off -they are covered!)

Disclaimer: I am no professional. If you are that worried, use cooking oil or something. I have the feeling you will be okay.

Drugstores like CVS and Walgreens sell bottles of mineral oil in the laxative section for pretty cheap. My bottle cost ~$5 for a water bottle sized...bottle.

How good is the rust prevention of mineral oil? Is it really thin and will run off the knife if it's left to sit unused?

How good is the rust prevention of mineral oil? Is it really thin and will run off the knife if it's left to sit unused?

I think as long as it stays on the surface it will help prevent rust. I am concidering blending some with a bit of bees wax if it will mix to thicken it a bit.

Stays pretty darn well. I have an uncoated Izula that I pocket carry and I just reapply a thin layer of oil about once a month--or less. :)

Olive oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, whatever, all works. They don't go rancid and kill you like some people say.

That said, my carbon kitchen blades (mora) develop a pretty heavy patina and are protected by it from then on out.

I dip mine in motor oil....gun oil....or whatever oil is around...thin if I go to cut food with it i wipe it off first......I think some of you are putting way to much thought into this....i am pretty sure there or more pesticides and parasites in what you are cutting than to worry with the trace amounts of oil on the blade......IMO.....to each their own..Drew

Olive oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, whatever, all works. They don't go rancid and kill you like some people say.

That said, my carbon kitchen blades (mora) develop a pretty heavy patina and are protected by it from then on out.

+1

:thumbup:

Back