Fool proof method? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about counterfeits and verification recently. I guess one difference (at least) between a genuine Spyderco for example and a fake would be the steel. The counterfeiters wouldn’t use the same high quality steel as is used on models with special steels (cmp3v/vg10 bla bla) because these steels are more expensive and that would eat into the counterfeiters profit margin.

What do you think?

Obviously there may be other differences like the g10 scales and slight design differences.

Anyway, my thinking is that the different steels probably have slightly different densities and therefor different weights. Thus, because of the steel used alone, there should be a difference in weight between the genuine and fake. Right?

The densities of the different steels may not be so different since it is probably only small differences in chemical composition (little more or less carbon, maybe some zinc or tungsten etc) using an accurate weighing machine, I guess, there should be a consistent weight amongst the genuine and a perceptible difference in weight between the genuines and fakes on average.

Come to think of it, all this seems sort of obvious and that I am being unnecessarily verbose putting across a simple idea.

Fair enough. As such, if you happen to own or have access to an accurate weighing machine that weighs to 10ths or hundreds of a G, and you own a spyderco Civilian (and even better, more than one) that you know for sure is/are genuine, could you weigh it/them and post the weight please?
smile.gif

I’m thinking this may be the best weigh (way ) to verify authenticity.

Couldn't such a small difference in weight be attributed to a very slightly different blade grind or how it was sharpened? I would think you could weigh several legit pm2's and there would be a slight variation in weight between them

Couldn't such a small difference in weight be attributed to a very slightly different blade grind or how it was sharpened? I would think you could weigh several legit pm2's and there would be a slight variation in weight between them
Exactly, when you're talking about such slight differences this is true with even legit knives.

Couldn't such a small difference in weight be attributed to a very slightly different blade grind or how it was sharpened?
Yes, it could.
I agree, the best way to avoid fakes is to buy from reputable dealers. If you are getting a brand new PM2 for $30....Guess what...(shocker:eek:) it's not real. ;)

Or just the variation in all the random weigh scales.

Or just the variation in all the random weigh scales.
Exactly, could be any part of the knife. I had two full size sheepsfoot griptilians and the grind on one started noticeably higher than the other so I guess my mind focused on the blade

Yes, it could.
I agree, the best way to avoid fakes is to buy from reputable dealers. If you are getting a brand new PM2 for $30....Guess what...(shocker:eek:) it's not real. ;)
What about if they sell a fake for the same price as a normal pm2.... Hmm

I was thinking about counterfeits and verification recently.......................................
As such, if you happen to own or have access to an accurate weighing machine that weighs to 10ths or hundreds of a G, and you own a spyderco Civilian (and even better, more than one) that you know for sure is/are genuine, could you weigh it/them and post the weight please?
smile.gif

So you were just randomly thinking about counterfeits in general, or you bought what you think might be a fake Spyderco Civilian and are looking to verify it's authenticity by using your theory on microgram differences in weight?

Maybe just google the differences?

Reactions: Mo2
The margin of error is too great for the test to provide reproduceable results. The difference in weight of various formulas of steel could be less than the weight of a single fingerprint that was left on the blade.

The existence of clones may not be all a bad thing for the manufacturer, as that discourages people from buying in the secondary market, and the secondary market sales do not contribute to the revenue and profit of the manufacturer. Take Spyderco as an example, most of my spydercos were bought from certified dealers because it always scares me that I might get fakes from the secondary market.

Fool proof method? What do you think?
I was thinking about counterfeits and verification recently. I guess one difference (at least) between a genuine Spyderco for example and a fake would be the steel. The counterfeiters wouldn’t use the same high quality steel as is used on models with special steels (cmp3v/vg10 bla bla) because these steels are more expensive and that would eat into the counterfeiters profit margin.

What do you think?

Obviously there may be other differences like the g10 scales and slight design differences.

Anyway, my thinking is that the different steels probably have slightly different densities and therefor different weights. Thus, because of the steel used alone, there should be a difference in weight between the genuine and fake. Right?

The densities of the different steels may not be so different since it is probably only small differences in chemical composition (little more or less carbon, maybe some zinc or tungsten etc) using an accurate weighing machine, I guess, there should be a consistent weight amongst the genuine and a perceptible difference in weight between the genuines and fakes on average.

Come to think of it, all this seems sort of obvious and that I am being unnecessarily verbose putting across a simple idea.

Fair enough. As such, if you happen to own or have access to an accurate weighing machine that weighs to 10ths or hundreds of a G, and you own a spyderco Civilian (and even better, more than one) that you know for sure is/are genuine, could you weigh it/them and post the weight please?
smile.gif

Sounds like one of the gag articles from the Journal of Irreproducible Results
http://www.jir.com/

OP got his answer and should now know that it is about as far from "foolproof" as one is likely to get.
Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back