For those who use Captains of Crush Grippers...

These have been discussed here.

I have a question for the folks who are working out with them. How many reps and sets are you doing? For most lifts I use low reps and heavy weight. The exceptions are abs, calfs, and forearms. I've read over the years that these have to be trained with high reps (up to 20) and that is how I have been doing it. I recently got these Captains of Crush grippers (a "T" and a "1"). The instructions say to use only five reps. Does this work? How many sets do you perform? Is this something specific about the grip or is the high reps for forearms thinking just all wrong? I would appreciate your comments on this topic.

I have been working with a regular spring gripper for a while, in addition to wrist curls. It was quite humbling to get the "T" (trainer) and be too weak to fully close it even on the first rep. Fortunately there is hope, as I was very close (3mm) to getting it closed on the first rep and I think my technique was off (I was trying to squeeze when I should have been trying to C-R-U-S-H :D).

Yes, doing 5 reps work.

I don't use the CoC since they're somewhat expensive and the progression between grippers are quite severe. I have the Ivanko Supergripper which has smaller increases, and it can match the difficulty of the CoC to a bit past the #3 from what I've read.

http://fractionalplates.com/equipment/equipment23.html

I use a simple 3-5 formula: 3-5 reps for 3-5 sets with 3-5 minutes rest between sets. I rarely go to the higher end of this scheme (5 reps x 5 sets). I tend to up the load when I can do 5 reps x 3 sets. If the increase in load is too great and I can't do 3 x 3 at the new load, then I'll step back and do more than 3 sets of the old load.

With the CoCs you won't be able to use this formula since the difference between each level of gripper is very large.

High reps for forearms are only wrong depending on what exercise you're doing and what your goals are. Few of us need to continuously crush something with our hands over and over. Same with the action of wrist curls. So those types exercises aren't well served by doing high rep work.

Grabbing onto something and hanging onto it is an example where length of time matters, and where you could relate it to high rep work, but it's still not similar. In this situation the hand is closed, and the object is to keep it closed under isometric tension rather than high rep tensing and relaxing. To work this important aspect you should try to keep a gripper closed for time, or just hold onto a heavy weight for time, or hang from a bar for time, etc.. It's a different aspect of hand conditioning than CoC gripper work.

Using CoC.

Striving for 3 sets, 12 reps (or until failure), 3 times a week. About 30-45 sec rest between sets. Now I´m at 12 reps on the first set, 7 reps on the second set and only 3 or 4 reps on the last set.

When I first got it I could only do 1 or 2 reps. That was it.

Proper warm-up first by doing some FMA stick work.

/Colinz

Been using the COC grippers for over a year now. Using the 5 reps per hand every other day has allowed me to move throught the "T", the #1, and I am very close (about 1mm) to being able to close the #2.

I was able to move throught the trainer very quickly - the #1 took a couple of months, and I've been working on the #2 for about 9 months now. It is amazing to be able to crank off 25 reps on the #1 with either hand now. Sometimes I feel a little silly about still not being able to touch the handles on #2, until someone else picks it up and can't even budge it.

Stick with it - you'll be amazed at the results.

Sierra1 out.

At Iron Mind's suggestion I started with the Trainer. Couldn't close it. In fact, for awhile I was conviced mine was broke because it wouldn't close that final millimeter! Now it's easy to close it hard enough to make the handles click together.

Sent for the #1 and #2 and working on those now. I warm up with the T, 5 reps 3 times on the #1, then take one mighty squeeze on the #2 after I've rested. Some days I can close the #1, some days I can't. But I'm working on it.

I also like to squeeze the #1 and hold it as long as I can until my forearm gives out.

I would be much further along if I were more consistant working out with them.

What's fun is to hand the Trainer to some big guy at work after I've clicked it closed a few times in front of him and ask him to see how many times he can do the same. Most can't even close it once!

Thanks for all the comments and tips. I really appreciate it. I have reevaluated my "high reps" policy for wrist and grip. I will now do fewer reps with heavier weights but will train these small, tough muscles more frequently than other body parts. Today I did my second workout with the CoC gripper and was able to click the "T" shut on the first rep of my last set. Strange that it was the last set but I am making clear progress. Next time I will do more warmup and see if that helps improve the first set. I wish you all continued success with your strength and fitness programs.

No advice on what to do for reps cuz I'm not really knowledgeable, but I just wanted to add that I love these grippers. I bought the T last year cuz I thought it would be fun to try. I'm a scrawny little dorky computer science college student here, so people find it surprising when I can close the #1 without a problem (and they can't close the T). Its made a big effect on my bowling and frisbee games too. I moved up to a 16 pound ball and just toss it around like it ain't no thang. I'm at the point where I can close the #1 about 2 or 3 times in a row, on a good day.

Back