For those with a Wicked Edge, I have a few questions for you...

• Are you glad you bought it? If not, why not?
  • Is it your primary tool for reprofiling? If not, what is?
  • Is it your primary tool sharpening? If not, what is?
  • Is there anything you'd like to share with someone considering buying a Wicked Edge?
Thank you for your help.

I’ve had mine for 3-4 years and with the cost being about a knife or more for me I have no regrets about buying it. I use my knives I don’t have safe queens. It is my only tool for reprofiling. I don’t use it for all my sharpening AFTER I have profiled to my liking I use Ceramic rods and strops for touch up. Once a knife get dull past what ceramic will bring back I will use the Wicked Edge but most of the time I wait until I have a few knives that need sharpened as I don’t have a good spot to leave it out and set up.

I bough a GO when it was first released just to fool around with, but I've used it more than I would have expected.

I do like it for profiling new >$200 knives, although it doesn't go to as low an angle as I normally prefer. I especially like how easy it is to get the tip sharp.
I definitely prefer freehand for finishing/honing/touchups, but then I'm more interested in experimenting with different edge treatments.

It makes more dust than I would have expected - doesn't matter in the workshop, I just blast it with compressed air, but I wouldn't use it in the kitchen for example.

If I had a do-over, I 'd probably buy the 130 with a low angle adapter.

I have a WE130 Pro Pack III. I love it! The best money I ever spent. Nearly every knife that I touch, even new knives, need to be reprofiled. It is a piece of cake with my WE130.

I had a w.e. go deluxe, and it for sure was a great setup for the money. I did a number of full reprofiles with it. What really happened was I learned how to sharpen and how to raise a burr. It was a giant light bulb for me.

So much so that when I would touch up with very fine ceramics by hand (setting up for a quick touch up was cumbersome) I understood about hitting the apex, and that truly made freehand sharpening so much more enjoyable.

I eventually switched to all freehand sharpening on diamond stones. Sold the w.e. But I don't think I would be anywhere near as proficient freehand without having learned on a w.e. I know my experience is not the norm, however.

I had a w.e. go deluxe, and it for sure was a great setup for the money. I did a number of full reprofiles with it. What really happened was I learned how to sharpen and how to raise a burr. It was a giant light bulb for me.

So much so that when I would touch up with very fine ceramics by hand (setting up for a quick touch up was cumbersome) I understood about hitting the apex, and that truly made freehand sharpening so much more enjoyable.

I eventually switched to all freehand sharpening on diamond stones. Sold the w.e. But I don't think I would be anywhere near as proficient freehand without having learned on a w.e. I know my experience is not the norm, however.

Out of curiosity, how long did your WE Go Deluxe take to sale, and how much % of your money did you lose?
I was just wondering because I have seen the more expensive models sell fast and for probably 90% of brand new cost. And that is just on the WE Forum, not counting BF, Facebook, or anywhere else.

Back