Forced patina

VJT

Custom kydex sheath and holster craftsman
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Anybody have any good pics or tips regarding forced patina? I have a scrapyard stonewashed DB-421 that got a little patina by accident, me carelessly leaving it wet in a sheath. It’s in there pretty deep. I think I’d accidentally ruin the stonewashed finish if I sanded or hit it with the steel wool hard enough to get it off. I bought it for making sheaths and was hoping to sell it as “like new” after selling a few but that’s out the window, so I thought I’d try this. While we’re at it, anyone know a good method for removing that patina without sanding off the stone washed finish?

Come on friends…. Someone knows something. I’ve heard some stuff about bbq sauce and a paper towel. I was thinking about taping off a pattern of some sort.

I feel bad that you aren't getting any responses so I'll try to help!

There's a huge 'patina' thread over in the Traditional sub which will be the most help I reckon, but I just cut some rhubarb in the garden that resulted in a nice gray patina on my Case jack knife. Any acidy thing will do something I would reckon...

Good Luck!

My first choice is wiping it down with rubbing alcohol really well then sticking it in a potato, it gives it a random pattern. or filling a bowl of vinegar and letting it sit for about 1 hour

anyone know a good method for removing that patina without sanding off the stone washed finish?
I take it you want to remove patina, not add patina. Flitz, or any good metal polish applied very lightly should do it, or lightly applied rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits.

I take it you want to remove patina, not add patina. Flitz, or any good metal polish applied very lightly should do it, or lightly applied rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits.
I used mustard and bbq sauce wiped on the blade.
I dig it
3R6r0lO.jpg
rFABz0t.jpg
1sIRnrB.jpg
AABZfey.jpg

My # 1 choice would be to remove, but I’m worried it’ll harm the stone washed finish

I have never done this BUT I think it could work very well - use toothpaste. It's a combo of stain remover and super mild abrasive. Maybe just let it sit for a while then rinse off without rubbing - though I doubt the rubbing would strip the stonewash. Good luck.

You might try the stuff that's for cleaning glass stove tops -- it's a very fine abrasive, maybe pumice. But I just let the patina accrue on my knives -- gives 'em character.

I have never done this BUT I think it could work very well - use toothpaste. It's a combo of stain remover and super mild abrasive. Maybe just let it sit for a while then rinse off without rubbing - though I doubt the rubbing would strip the stonewash. Good luck.

I have used toothpaste and toobrush on double cut , electric helps because quite a bit of scrubbing is needed.

Back