Forge Gremlins

Forge gremlins "OR" what should I avoid using in my forge???
Have been told you can contaminate a welding forge with things like Brass or Nickle Silver...What about galvanized steel?
Any other things I need to keep out of the forge?
Besides my Fingers:D

Pretty much everything you mentioned.....galvanized can give off toxic fumes....but I would really like to know if brass and NS will really contaminate a forge from welding.....I really dont see how....but I have no experience with it.

Keep the hot dogs and burgers out too......but you can cook eggs on top of it!

Greg

I've heard experienced smiths say it does make a difference for forge welding, and I've heard experienced smiths say it doesn't. It's one of those controversies that'll take years to clear up. Definately avoid the galvanized or any other zinc though, all smiths agree that poison is bad.

I swear I subscribed to this thread.
Anyway...hate to learn things the hard way.

BTW "SCORE" slipped the shop foreman at the local Wire Rope supplier a $20 and got 10pcs of varying thicknesses of 2' long steel cable today:D
I am a happy camper!

I've both read and been told that copper can ruin a forge* for welding - in fact, an old blacksmith's practical joke is to throw a penny in when the other guy's back is turned. Since brass contains copper, that would explain that. I don't know if there's any copper in NS. Anything galvanized is coated with zinc. Safe if only you can hold your breath for a few hours.

*I know this applies to coal... one would assume it applies for gas. Does anyone know WHY (metallurgically speaking) copper contamination prevents welds from sticking? I'll try asking around.

Here are a couple of ideas to throw around,
first NS is generally nickel, copper, and some other trace elements eg 18% Ni, 74%Cu tin and antimony making up the rest, at least that is what one of my sources lists as the mix.
as for copper ruining a forge for welding, I think it is more superstition than anything else. Forge welding is the toughest of the seven basic blacksmithing operations to learn. Because of it many smiths have built up reasons why it cannot be done, I feel copper was a cause from back when the forge was used for brazing as well as welding, copper can dirty a forge quickly, but if you take care with your fire, flux, and temperatures, you can weld in a fire that has had copper in it, and get good solid welds, not just stickers.

I did some asking around... chemically, it's beyond me, but it's gotten something to do with vaporous (sp?) oxides of copper negating the flux. :confused:

Anyway, don't drop any pennies or pipe fittings in the forge. :p

Back