Photos Forging Press - WIP

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
Ok this will be the build thread fallowing the fabrication of my press. All the steel is right in the way in the middle of my shop so i have to start cutting it up and assembling it. This press is rather tall at 8ft. but this allows me to use the long ram i have and and lots of clearance between the dies. the dies are 16"x4" with nothing sticking up to get in the way. Thy lock into place with pins or threaded studs. then a nut or shaft collar will hold them in place. As it sits right now I have 16" between die plates, this does not including any dies I weld onto them. The bottom die plate sets at 32.5" off the floor. The uprights are spaced 4" apart so I can come in from the side to straighten billets. Coming in from the front I have a 8" wide opening between uprights so i can use what ever width of dies I like. i was going to make this even wider but it did not fit the material i have on hand. Plus the die plates would have to be much longer to use the mounting system i designed. Im going to start cutting these parts soon so if you see a problem let me know. the clevises on the cylinder will go inside the upper support tube and lower die assembly. These tubes have a 1/2" wall thickness and are quite beefy. the upper tube is 8" tall and 4" wide. the lower one is 12" tall and also 4" wide. I also made the side guides so thy bolt into place. This allows for adjusting as well as removing the upper die assembly if needed. I hate having moving things trapped in place by welds. Thanks guys.

P.S. Not including the cylinder and casters this things weighs just over 900 lbs

press1.png

press2.png

press3.png

press4.png

press5.png

press6.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-26_17-58-45.png
    upload_2017-12-26_17-58-45.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 10
I was able to start cutting today befor work. I got the 4 uprights cut to length and the drops will be cut to make the base. Took longer then I wanted but it's a brand new blade so I was babying it till it was broke in. If I can get home by a reasonable hr I'm going to cut up the big tubes. Man it's nice having a real saw.

Photo%20Dec%2028%2C%202%2037%2027%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2028%2C%203%2029%2026%20PM.jpg

It looks like a nice project!
My only doubt is if you would crush your die holders made of square tubing. I'd look for more stiff stuff between the ram and the base of the bottom die... above and below the workpiece

That tubing has a 1/2" wall thickness.

Getting closer. About got frost bite but got all the big stuff cut up.
Photo%20Jan%2001%2C%2012%2008%2017%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Jan%2001%2C%2012%2008%2034%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Jan%2001%2C%2012%2008%2041%20AM.jpg

Now on to cutting up the base and deciding on if I want to mount all the goodies to the press or have a separate power pack.

Might be nice to have the power pack be attached to the main body but removable, so you can pull it and put it on a bench if something goes wrong and you have to work on it.

The power pack is a 10hp motor, pump, VFD and 10galon hydraulic tank. I don't know how much lifting I will beable to to it lol.

Good looking design. My only real concern is the tubbing die holders, but 1/2" should be thick enough. After using it a little while you'll find if you have any weak spots.

You don't mention the ram size or single or two stage pump, or I missed it. After using my press for a number of years I can say I'd rather loose a little power to gain speed than the other way around. 15-20 tons is plenty as long as it's fast enough. I've got a two stage pump and running about 20 tons. That lets me keep the pressure down to around 2200 PSI instead of running it up. The hoses and such are rated for a lot higher, but the less pressure you can run the safer, and longer your hoses will last.

One thing I'd also suggest, forget about leaving any clearance and just make everything tight on the ways, the ram will make it wear in. When I built mine I left just a little clearance, about 1/64" or so, and found after a little while I had more slop than I wanted. After a few years I took everything down and rebuilt the die plate holders out of heavier stuff and welded and ground to close up any slop. I had to drive the ram in with a sledge hammer and it didn't take but about one pressing to have everything running smooth.

One other thing, use something to keep the dies in, I put a counter balanced lever on the bottom and a swing tab on the top die holder. Keepers are made from 1/2" plate, tried 3/8" and it lasted for a while but eventually bent. Used the press without for a while but after a drawing die shot out and punched me in the gut I installed the keepers after I could stand upright again.

I'm going to use a 10hp motor (vfd is ordered). The cylinder is 4.5" or so I think. It has a 5" OD and 2" ram. The plan was to sit around 20tons and get as much speed as I can put if it. I had wondered how even less tons would work and if the speed increase would be worth it. The tubing for die holders will get thick tops added and welded into place.

So I have come to a turning point where I need your guys help. I was given this valve and don't know anything about it. It was setting with another valve that was I'm guessing bad and it looks like this valve is new and thy moved the pressure bypass nut from the bad one to the new one. It is a spring to center but I don't know if it's a open center or the max psi it can take. It seams quite heavy and beefy. The other thing is my cylinder. My plan was to run at 2500psi but I also don't know anything about this cylinder besides it has A.O.K painted on the side. It's 5" OD and I'm guessing 1/4" wall. It uses a lock wire to hold the gland cap in place. So any help would be greatly helpful. Thanks guys

Photo%20Jan%2006%2C%2010%2025%2031%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jan%2006%2C%2010%2025%2045%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jan%2006%2C%2010%2026%2001%20PM.jpg

If you haven't planned on it, I'd be inclined to add some way of running something else off the same power pack. In case you build a hydraulic rolling mill, shear, shop press, ect

It looks to be a standard open center double acting valve.

Pretty much any of this stuff is going to be rated for 2500 psi. I don't think I've seen any standard hydraulic equipment rated for less. Most is rated 3000 psi.

I have been in the shop all day playing with the press. Told the wife that's all I wanted for my birthday which was today. Plus the 10HP VFD she got me :)

so i unthreaded the pressure adjuster as i could hear something in there. the screw was just finger tight. the ball bearing (poppet) was there but missing the spring that pushes the ball into the seat and rides on the adjustment screw. Any ideas on the spring weight this ball needs? i thought about measuring the poppet seat opening and back calculating the spring weight.

If you are guessing, don't use it. Either have a hydraulic rebuilder do the job, or get a new one. It is not smart to use an unknown part as the heart of your expensive press build.

Back