Forgive Me, Charlie, For I Have Sinned

I prefer single blade trapper patterns, 3.5" is about perfect as a carry knife. I have to say, the TC Barlow single blades in particular are slim and well made for a production knife.

Last edited:
We are lucky that Charlie has these knives produced. Who else produces a quality single blade Barlow besides Taylors Eye Witness out of Sheffield England? I don't think I ever saw a Case version on their site?

I might have picked up one of CKs knives but the currency exchange rate and shipping to Canada made it prohibitive. I need to take a closer look if I can make it back to the GEC picnic in 2018.

,,,Mike in Canada

I feel you. I never could come around to barlows or 3.5" knives. I liked my 77 jack, so I sprung for a UN-X-LD. A green single clip. Should've loved it but I didn't.
Anyway, I sold it but decided to give it another spin. I decided to try something that felt authentic, something with soul. Something that didn't feel like a gaudier regular jack. Something that felt ancient.. I don't think I want another one but I really do like this one. My point is, you don't have to like barlows to like a Barlow.
kQoKBxU.jpg

well done old chap on scoring another one! You beat me to that, well I wasnt keeping a sharp enough eye. I gotta find Augie :D

I am not a Barlow fan either. Nor do I care for multiple blades. 1 Wharncliffe,Sheepsfoot or Lambsfoot blade suit me fine.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with not liking barlows. I used to not be a fan either but tastes change. I used to insist because they had no end caps, they are fragile or more fragile than one with end caps. In fact I used to only buy knives with end caps. No end caps meant not buying it. However bigbiscuit reached out to teach me more about these knives the other year and with some encouragement, I ended up buying this from Bob.

BhAZ7cH.jpg

Nothing wrong with not liking certain patterns. it's all about buying, experiencing, learning about, and sharing the love of the patterns you like.

Personally the Barlow was what brought me to the porch, but I can say that I don't like the looks of every single one of them.
, I really don't like sweged spear blades for some reason.
I'm fine with standard spear blades on scouts and Vic's, but you add a swedged and I find them ugly.
I also don't really like straight spear blades.

I find that I change focus from time to time. Some of the patterns I disliked a decade ago I like greatly now, and don't use a lot of the patterns I once favored.

A lot of common sense being posted here!:) There are waaaaaay too many patterns to get hung up on, it's definitely not a sin. Not totally my favorite either, but I have seen some I covet. Carry what makes you happy and works, you'll never go wrong.
Thanks, Neal

I like single blade trapper patterns, 3.5" is about perfect as a carry knife. I have to say, the TC Barlow single blades in particular are slim and well made for a production knife.

that used to be how I started. in fact I made the account cause I kept seeing some guy with a blue sheet and a ton of these awesome looking half moon trappers. good ole 2dead! the rest is history

Is that reground? It looks kinda lambsfooty. Does Jack know about this? :D Definitely a knife with character.

That's all factory my dude. The ancient TC barlow is an odd bird. Based off a 200yr old Sheffield barlow. It's the only GEC I know of that had hammered pins, scratted bone handles or forced patina from the factory. The blade shape is also unique to this knife it's basically a coping main with a touch of lambsfoot. The tang reads 15C115, the C stands for Charlie "The Barlow King" Campagna. With it's patina'd blade and bolsters, I think this is one bare end 15 Jack isn't after.

That's all factory my dude. The ancient TC barlow is an odd bird. Based off a 200yr old Sheffield barlow. It's the only GEC I know of that had hammered pins, scratted bone handles or forced patina from the factory. The blade shape is also unique to this knife it's basically a coping main with a touch of lambsfoot. The tang reads 15C115, the C stands for Charlie "The Barlow King" Campagna. With it's patina'd blade and bolsters, I think this is one bare end 15 Jack isn't after.

you are wrong Jimmy, you beat me to Sarah's the other day! I got one from Charlie awhile back actually, its really neat as it is one of the TCs with the most slender profile. second probably only to the spear and spey with its blade shape. Really digging mine. :D

I too never developped a taste for barlows. They're just too different from what was worn here. Those were knives similar to opinels and later scout patterns, SAKs and various hunting folders cought on, knives made in Solingen were considered top notch. The barlow is something typically American to me and while I like many American traditionals, the long bolstered barlow is something what people here don't even know. I much more like equal enders, swell ends and serpentine patterns. Two spring knives are my favourite, jack knives and stockmen, although I like a nice single spring pen knife as well. To each his own.

Back