forming leather sheath to knife

deltablade

Gold Member
I have an Anza 4" HUNTING KNIFE IN THEIR POUCH TYPE LEATHER SHEATH. THE SHEATH DOESNT GRIP THE KNIFE VERY WELL, SO HOW CAN i REFORM THE SHEATH TO FIT THE KNIFE TIGHTER AND HOLD IT BETTER?

Step one: Turn off the caps lock.

Step Two: Dampen the sheath - use your thumbs to press the sheath to the knife and handle.

Step Three: Let it dry and then add a protectant.

If the blade is high carbon steel you will want to wrap the steel in masking tape or cellophane before doing this.

TF

One other thing you might do would be to layer in a piece of deer or elk skin
the kind that is soft and pliable, along the spine side of the sheath, in like
a half moon sort of thing, taper the leather down near the opening so it doesn't
catch on that, I'd have it go in as far as you can, to help fasten it with the barge
cement.

What this does is provide a layer of springy material that will wedge the knife in place
so it helps to keep a tighter hold on the handle for you.

I had to do this type of thing for a knife with no guard, no scales, just a straight piece of
damascus, here's a link to that thread to view, it was a challenge to come up with how to
do that without a flap type sheath but it worked very well and the knife is secure.

See this Thread here

G2

many thanks guys, and no caps lock this time. durn fat fingers.

one more question, so if I dampen the sheath and mold it with my fingers, do I need to clamp the sheath in foam or anything while it dries?

many thanks guys, and no caps lock this time. durn fat fingers.

one more question, so if I dampen the sheath and mold it with my fingers, do I need to clamp the sheath in foam or anything while it dries?

No....if you mold it at the right time it will hold it's shape...just work the knife around a little, then take the knife out and leave the sheath to dry.....out in the sun light would be ideal.

PS...if....or rather, when.... you find that "dampen" through a sheath that has a finish on it doesn't cut it.....just hold it under hot running water for a few seconds....don't be afraid to get it WET.

Back