Fort Williams MK1 khukuri

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We recently made a fort williams style mk1!

full

When we first started up Kailash we went with a non fort williams mk1 originally as it was different to what others on the market were doing, but there's no arguing that the fort williams is a more interesting and desirable pattern.All mk1s have the tang secured by a sunken rifle nut, which is a really interesting and unique feature. The temple kaudi and the unique baseball bat style handle of the fort williams really help set it apart though. We're very happy with the final result and think the shaping of the blade and handle is really bang on, something that no other manufacturer has managed to do just yet. This is a 5.3" handle as per custom request but we could the option of either a full sized or a more snug and historically accurate 4.25" handle.
What do you guys think? Should we make this a standard website offering? Or should we stick to our standard mk1.
Here's some more pics.

full

full

full

full

Why not both?!
I personally prefer the look of your current MK1, but this one has its own charm and seems to be quite popular with the folks.

Why not both?!
I personally prefer the look of your current MK1, but this one has its own charm and seems to be quite popular with the folks.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah we have had a very positive response so far. The issue with having both is that it creates a bit of confusion on the website and it also dilutes the presence of both the knives on the internet. Say someone does a review of our mk1 then that interest gets spread out between two knives and gets a bit muddles

We recently made a fort williams style mk1!

full

When we first started up Kailash we went with a non fort williams mk1 originally as it was different to what others on the market were doing, but there's no arguing that the fort williams is a more interesting and desirable pattern.All mk1s have the tang secured by a sunken rifle nut, which is a really interesting and unique feature. The temple kaudi and the unique baseball bat style handle of the fort williams really help set it apart though. We're very happy with the final result and think the shaping of the blade and handle is really bang on, something that no other manufacturer has managed to do just yet. This is a 5.3" handle as per custom request but we could the option of either a full sized or a more snug and historically accurate 4.25" handle.
What do you guys think? Should we make this a standard website offering? Or should we stick to our standard mk1.
Here's some more pics.

full

full

full

full
I want one of these pretty badly. I think it's a real beauty especially after watching the video on the first page of a guy showing off his Buffaloe handled Ft. Williams Mk1 with the butt cap and steel collar. đź‘Ť

I like everything about it but the round handle. I have one knife with a broomstick handle, and it always wants to turn in the hand when chopping or using. I really do like that blade though, quite sexy in my eye.

I like everything about it but the round handle. I have one knife with a broomstick handle, and it always wants to turn in the hand when chopping or using. I really do like that blade though, quite sexy in my eye.
While this may make it less historically accurate, I too believe it could benefit with a slightly more curve and tapering on the handle like on their other models.
Something like the one shown on The Twilight Emporium's video.

Even with the roundness, I think the curve and tapering should somewhat mitigate this issue.

Thanks for the video, it gives me more options on what I really want very nice. đź‘Ť
Alternatively, you could also email Kailash Blades and put in a request to make one with a handle style you like. They have better heat treatment than their competitors and you could even go for a more durable Micarta handle.

Awesome, I was thinking about the micarta handles as well but the wood is pretty sweet looking.

Alternatively, you could also email Kailash Blades and put in a request to make one with a handle style you like. They have better heat treatment than their competitors and you could even go for a more durable Micarta handle.
We'll actually be making the option to opt out of the more niche handle shapes available through the website soon (mk1, pensioner, service issue, salyani, chitlange). For now feel free to request a "Kailash standard" handle in whichever size you like in the order notes. We'll be able to sort it out at no extra cost.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

While this may make it less historically accurate, I too believe it could benefit with a slightly more curve and tapering on the handle like on their other models.
Something like the one shown on The Twilight Emporium's video.

Even with the roundness, I think the curve and tapering should somewhat mitigate this issue.
Would totally agree with Chandra on the point of a more slight curve and taper to the handle of this model ( even though it may not be historically accurate ) I believe it would be a more practical user and in my opinion better aesthetically . Is it an option for Kailash to do this type of handle on the FW Mk1 ?

We can swap any knife handle style over to any other knife :)
Do note though that the exact shape of the handle will be determined by the knife bolster width and the smiths own shaping sensibilities- we cannot accurately match traditional handle shapes from previous blades and cannot accurately match verbal descriptions of changes.

Back