Forty Dollar 4 Max Unbelievable!

You guys. :rolleyes: :D

Had one of these for a while and sold it. This deal was too good to pass up though. Will ride in one of my vehicles.

Question: what’s up with the holes in the handle by the choil?

Last edited:
You guys. :rolleyes: :D

Had one of these for a while and sold it. That deal was too good to pass up though. Will ride in one of my vehicles.

Question: what’s up with the holes in the handle by the choil?
I believe the prototype had a pin that could be added for even more strength. That didn't make it into production, but they kept the holes.

EPn50hTh.jpg

So, after seeing this thread I grabbed a 4 max scout...

I have to ask, what are you guys using yours for? This thing is comically large (my opinion only, and not an indictment on them at all). I just can't imagine carrying it all the time.

So help an unimaginative guy out... Besides just taking it out to show how huge a knife it is, where does something like a 4 max really shine?

So, after seeing this thread I grabbed a 4 max scout...

I have to ask, what are you guys using yours for? This thing is comically large (my opinion only, and not an indictment on them at all). I just can't imagine carrying it all the time.

So help an unimaginative guy out... Besides just taking it out to show how huge a knife it is, where does something like a 4 max really shine?
I use mine the same as I would use a Buck 110 or a Cold Steel Voyager. The handle fits my hand very well. For reference I wear an XL/XXL size glove. Just my humble opinion though.

I don’t know if I’d call it “comically” large, lol, I personally reserve that for the XL’s in the CS lineup, which are even too much for me.

That said, I’ve always kinda been of the mantra to carry the biggest knife you’re comfortable with, and echo what LT and many others have said over the years, that a big knife can do most of the things a small knife can do, but a small knife can’t do most of the things a big knife can. Furthermore, I don’t live in a restrictive area, so legality has never been a concern. Additionally, I’m a pretty big guy and I almost always wear a belt, so carrying larger/heavier knives isn’t as cumbersome for me as it is for some others, but I understand those complaints. That said, I do have smaller knives. Plenty of em. This one is really comfortable in hand and really resonates with me for some reason. Plus, it’s just simply entertaining on some weird level.

As for what I do with it? You know, knife stuff. Yesterday I cut a tire plug after patching a tire with a screw in it, broke down some boxes, and cut trimmer line while doing yardwork. Could a smaller knife have done those things? Yep. But it’s what I had in my pocket.

Congratulations, Willie! I consider my 4 Max as my last-line-of-defense, and survival-folder. But its equally adept at all everyday tasks, which require a blade. I have no trouble carrying the upscale Cold Steel legacy blades. The 4 Max slips easily into my cargo-shorts, and I hardly notice it. The 4 Max is a folder, that will get-you-home. Its a nice augment to my primary weapon, usually a 9mm pistol. The 4 Max really doesn't seem all that "big" to me anymore. Its main selling-point is unexcelled strength, and the triad-lock. I've used mine to cut cardboard, electrical insulation, opening cases of shrink-wrapped water, and woodscrafting. The 4 Max is relatively large, but diminutive compared to the 5 Max, and the Espadas.

I don’t know if I’d call it “comically” large, lol, I personally reserve that for the XL’s in the CS lineup, which are even too much for me.

That said, I’ve always kinda been of the mantra to carry the biggest knife you’re comfortable with, and echo what LT and many others have said over the years, that a big knife can do most of the things a small knife can do, but a small knife can’t do most of the things a big knife can. Furthermore, I don’t live in a restrictive area, so legality has never been a concern. Additionally, I’m a pretty big guy and I almost always wear a belt, so carrying larger/heavier knives isn’t as cumbersome for me as it is for some others, but I understand those complaints. That said, I do have smaller knives. Plenty of em. This one is really comfortable in hand and really resonates with me for some reason. Plus, it’s just simply entertaining on some weird level.

As for what I do with it? You know, knife stuff. Yesterday I cut a tire plug after patching a tire with a screw in it, broke down some boxes, and cut trimmer line while doing yardwork. Could a smaller knife have done those things? Yep. But it’s what I had in my pocket.
I use mine the same as I would use a Buck 110 or a Cold Steel Voyager. The handle fits my hand very well. For reference I wear an XL/XXL size glove. Just my humble opinion though.

I certainly appreciate a full sized folder on occasion, I have and carry (albeit not normally) several knives in the 4 inch plus range, and I share the sentiment that it's easier to do small knife things with a big knife then big knife things with a small knife.

I wouldn't call rural New York State particularly non-permissive as far as edged tools go either, but good golly that thing eats up a lot of real estate, and I already have a hard time keeping my pants covering my non-existent glutes...

I'd also like to clarify, I find just liking a huge, chonky knife is reason enough to own one, I just like hearing about unusual use case scenarios.

I too, always wear a belt. Until a couple of weeks ago it was a steel core gun belt, the core finally broke after about 7 years of daily wear, so I'm back to my old thick leather gun belt.

I also rarely wear jeans, it's cargo shorts from about March until October, the balance of they year it's work pants of some variety.
I'm sure my general distaste for pocket clips hurts me here. Bucket harnesses and climbing saddles have an uncanny ability to snag them, and my second job has me walking upwards of 15 miles a day when I'm there, so weight does become an issue, especially when something is just bouncing around in my pocket.

I'll find a niche for it somewhere. It's too friggin cool to not keep.

I got a 4max scout a while ago for like 80 dollars and thought that was a crazy good deal. It is honestly one of the best built knives I own and I'm going to have to pick another one up at this rate. Might get one for everyone's Christmas gift actually... Does anyone have the 4max elite, and is the quality really that much better? I can't imagine what they would improve quality wise. Feels kind of like Toyota vs Lexus where they all roll down the same assembly line and some get the fancy trimmings.

I got my orange 4MaxScout in the mail today. Very smooth, vault-like lock up, nice grinds, hair popping sharp, …..and very visible🤣

It was’t as inexpensive as some of the other colors, but still a heck of a deal for such a large and overbuilt knife. I compared it to my other 4MaxScout and they are identical in fit and finish. Outstanding product.

I keep buying more. Giving them away to fellas on my Shift when they do an extraordinary deed. Large drug bust, pulled a couple people out of an overturned vehicle that was in a ditch.

I wish I had more, so I always watch Mid… for sales. I hope to outfit my entire shift one day!!!

The scout is the ultimate duty knife!!!

Back