• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Forum selling/buying guidelines HELP

I do think sellers that require immediate payment should have their payment info up already.

I posted an "I'll take it" + email on an item, requested payment info, waited...waited...waited 5 hours later went to bed, woke up the next morning to 2 messages, one with the payment info (about 6 hours later) and one that it was sold to another member because I hasn't responded within 2 hours to the seller's message. I just put them on my ignore list so I wouldn't have to deal with that member in any future sales.

As I am on the other side of the planet I always specifically indicate that I will effect payment within 12 hours of the sellers acceptance of the deal due to time differences. Often I am fast asleep when a buyer responds.

As of now I have never had anyone refuse this or sell the item from under me. I always try and be clear in my comms.

It sucks to loose a deal that way but it happens.

I do think sellers that require immediate payment should have their payment info up already.

I posted an "I'll take it" + email on an item, requested payment info, waited...waited...waited 5 hours later went to bed, woke up the next morning to 2 messages, one with the payment info (about 6 hours later) and one that it was sold to another member because I hasn't responded within 2 hours to the seller's message. I just put them on my ignore list so I wouldn't have to deal with that member in any future sales.

Putting up personal information, even if it is in code, could expose one to potential hacking, so I understand why it may not be up for the public to see. However, if the payment information needs to be requested from the seller for the requested immediate payment, unless it’s stated that they (the seller) are unavailable for a specific time frame, the seller should respond to the buyer with the same urgency they are requesting.

I would just worry that if someone was in that much of a hurry, some detail may be missed or the packing of the shipment may not be up to my expectations. We have all seen rushing lead to accidents/forgetfulness/errors/scams/etc... It could also be that they (the seller) is just that busy and has been jerked around one too many times by buyers, and if you desire to purchase their item, you will abide by their rules.

We each have our own reasons for the way we do things. One way or another way doesn’t make it the right or wrong way to sell or buy, it only leads to a great transaction or a disappointing experience that you won’t repeat.

So new member and you all probably don't care about my views but I have bought 5 things here and I use to buy and sell heli parts about 10 years ago. But that's another story. Let's talk about here and as a buyer. I say I will take it. I pm I will take it can pay Immediately. I wait. 5 minutes. If I don't hear back( only happen once btw most you guys freaking rock as sellers) I pm my cell number with a message of text me your PayPal information and I'll pay Immediately. When that happened I texted back did the deal and poof problem solved. In 2019 really we do all have lives but we also all have super smart phones . Everything you can do in a computer you can do on a phone. But I don't want to string any seller along . If I ever say I'll take it . I want it to be like I am at the store. Off the shelf in my cart to the cashier, pay and its mine. I dont want some dude with popcorn in his beard( no offense ment) taking my stuff from my cart. So the sooner I hit that cashier the faster its mine all mine and it's on it's way home . To my house. Same with selling I want you to have your new found idem asap so you can enjoy it. In 2-3 days. Not a week . Tomorrow if it was possible. I don't want it to have missing parts. I don't want you to have to fix something. Right the first time everytime. And if for some reason something go wrong. Let's make it right. Had it happen with the kme I bought here and the guy stepped up said it was his bad made it right stand up seller. The way it should be. In a nut shell if I'm selling something and your buying tell me what time you need. If I feel like that's to much to ask I'll say I'm gonna pass on that right now come back later if it's still here. It normally only happens on the hot fast selling items. Thanks for letting me have $.02 worth that I'm sure nobody ask to hear

"If you tell a worker in a store you're going to buy something, is there a legal requirement to pay at that point? Of course not. Saying you'll buy something on a forum is even less 'binding'".

Good to know.

The next time a sprint run comes up at your favorite online knife dealer put it in your cart.
Then wait 6 hours before you pay.
Poof!
Gone to a more seriously interested party.

100% agree and they can type it to avoid the bots. I generally indicate when I can pay (i.e. will pay after work if I claim during work) in my claims, but have had sellers balk and move on anyway. Just not in the cards I think, but also put them on ignore to avoid future issues with their sales.

Putting up personal information, even if it is in code, could expose one to potential hacking, so I understand why it may not be up for the public to see. However, if the payment information needs to be requested from the seller for the requested immediate payment, unless it’s stated that they (the seller) are unavailable for a specific time frame, the seller should respond to the buyer with the same urgency they are requesting.

I would just worry that if someone was in that much of a hurry, some detail may be missed or the packing of the shipment may not be up to my expectations. We have all seen rushing lead to accidents/forgetfulness/errors/scams/etc... It could also be that they (the seller) is just that busy and has been jerked around one too many times by buyers, and if you desire to purchase their item, you will abide by their rules.

We each have our own reasons for the way we do things. One way or another way doesn’t make it the right or wrong way to sell or buy, it only leads to a great transaction or a disappointing experience that you won’t repeat.

This is another reason why I only use Paypal G&S and print my shipping labels directly from Paypal. Automatic import of tracking information for buyer and seller alike, and no worries about whether you hand-wrote the address illegibly or mistyped - it goes directly to the address the buyer him/herself entered.

My purchases or sales are not nearly important enough to either tether myself to a computer or to get bent out of shape about being passed up. If someone wants to rush things, I assume I dodged a bullet.

Generally, I try to state when I will be available next since it'a very rare that a seller or buyer responds right away to a PM and I can't pay if there's no email and I can't get paid without sending them my info. I don't like posting my contact info in sales ads because of spam bots.

Overrall, overcommunication has saved me a lot of headaches.

Back