Found an old Norton stone...can I bring it back?

Got an old Norton stone at a garage sale a loooong time ago that I had forgotten about.

I'm at the library (shhh....I'm supposed to be studying) and was wonder if I wasted my $1.00:D

It's black...if that helps on what material it is...but it's as gummy as all get out and a fairly "wavy". I know they make "flattening stones" or something along that name. As always, I'm looking for the cheapskate's way. It actually cuts much quicker than I thought it would given how smooth it was to the touch. (Probably 'cause I'm use to Lansky stones and 800-2000grit CrO sandpaper.)

Any advice or help is appreciated...worse case scenario is I blew a buck, and I've done far worse;)

Flatten it on a sheet of 240 grit wet/dry automotive sandpaper.
You can soak it in mineral spirits or kerosene to remove the old oil, then scrub it with a brush, detergent and water.

Soak it in Castrol Super Clean, scrub with a handheld wire brush, rinse in boiling water, rub it on a concrete block to flatten it. Cheap enough?

Soak it in Castrol Super Clean, scrub with a handheld wire brush, rinse in boiling water, rub it on a concrete block to flatten it. Cheap enough?
i would say the same thing but im not sure if it is necessary but i like to put some sand on the concrete and then flatten away.

...rub it on a concrete block to flatten it.

This is what I do too. I lubricate the cinder block with dish soap and water. Dunno if this is the "right" way to flatten a stone or not, but it seems to work, and the stones are clean and cut great after your done.

Back