Four Years Ago

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Four Years Ago today was the day I packed all my tool boxes and tools up and left the working world.
It was four years ago that Mrs. Big Chris and I made the decision that I was going to be a Stay at Home Dad.
We also decided to give this Knife Making thing a real try.
We could not have made it happen without the support of you guys that like my knives and purchase them.
While I still consider my self a small maker, only selling a little over 100 knives a year, I try to make the very best performing knife I possibly can.

Some days and weeks have been much harder than others but I would not have guessed it has been 4 years
This must be the feeling people talk about you get when you really love your "job".
I really don't think I could ask for more, except maybe to be able to do this for forty more years.

Thanks for all your support

Big Chris

Here is a picture of the first Kephart I made in probably late '09 early 2010 and a Kephart that was finished roughly 4 years ago.

DSCN1188.jpg

I have made a lot of Kepharts since then, probably more than any other knife pattern, and have several more on the bench being worked on right now.
Here is a picture of the most recent one finished.

IMG_3370.jpg

You shipped my first Big Chris knife in September of 2012.
All of your knives have been highly functional art.
Thanks for being such a dedicated and responsive maker.

Chris, you make some fantastic blades. My pocket fighter is one of my most carried blades. One of the sharpest knives I've ever received and some of the best edge geometry I've ever seen. Seriously, light sabers. Or at least the steel equivalent.

I definitely see more in my future.

Great knives - well-made and high performance tools! Wish I had a bigger budget.
And don't forget the regrinds - you take good knives made by others and make them better!

Hey Chris, wondering what your first mark was? Have a couple of blades I love that have just a B on the tang. Are they some of your early ones?

Well, I'm glad you made that leap. I've benefitted from it by having some of the best performing knives/tools I feel that are being offered out there today.
And I know your family has seen the benefits of being there to care for them.
As long as I'm able to use knives, I'll always have a Big Chris in my possession.

Thanks for all the kind words.
I really enjoy making knives.
Sometimes I miss doing machinist work or heavy equipment repair but not very often.
I honestly strive to make the best performing knife that I am able.
I am glad that I have a few people that really enjoy my knives and enjoy using them.
I could not continue doing this without all of you standing with me.

Thanks

My first Big Chris Custom bought back in 2012. Still one of my two most used knives. The other is a Big Chris boning knife in S90V. I can't count how many of them I have owned now and each of them has been special. The laser like cutting and fantastic fit and finish is only part of it, Chris has excellent customer service and is just a damn good guy to deal with.

Hey Chris, wondering what your first mark was? Have a couple of blades I love that have just a B on the tang. Are they some of your early ones?
His first stamp was a B. I think he had a few knives early on that were not marked. I think he is due for a new stamp but he doesn't always take my advice...

^^ She is correct. I use just a simple "B" for a long time.
I started with the "Big Chris" stamp at the start of 2012.
It is time for a new stamp, I just have not fully decided on what I want this time.

Back