Review Free P4

mitch13

Gold Member
IMG_20230107_133219.jpg

Have been carrying the P4 for awhile, time to share my thoughts.

The Handle
It is a touch longer than the charge or wave, just as thick across the tools & width is similar. The scales have enough texture to provide a good grip, even with gardening gloves on. The domed screws don't get in the way. When pliers are open the frame is thick enough & rounded to be comfortable to use.
IMG20230106145042.jpg
Ease of opening tools.
I am a left hander & most multi tool main tools are set up for right hand use especially if you use the pocket clip. Having said that the p4 is more leftie friendly. The serrated blade & scissors open left handed & all the other tools can be opened left handed. As the lock bar goes all the way across the frame very easy to release even if the blade is on the other side, compared to rotating to close a liner lock. Opening the pliers is easy to do 1 handed, you can flick it like a butterfly knife fast but the fast opening can partially open some of the tools to open, if you just open it at a reasonable pace no problem.
IMG20230106144713.jpg
The Tools
Pliers- What can I say they are pliers Wire cutters work, do what they are supposed to & feel very sturdy & comfortable to use.
IMG20230107114914.jpg
Serrated knife- Has chisel ground tanto blade. It's my go to blade for dirty or messy work. Great for bags of fertilizer, bit of pruning & rips through boxes(had plenty of them at Christmas). Holds an edge for a good time & easy to touch up on the sharpmaker.

Straight Edge- Modified wharncliffe with a hollow grind. It's sharp & holds a good edge, though not as good as 154CM. What I have found with the hollow grind & the opening slot, when cutting say cardboard & it hits the void there can be want of a better term a drag, nothing huge but just not quite as smooth, found that on my T2 as well. I prefer the profile of the straight blade on the wave & charge but not a deal breaker, I use the serrated blade more anyway.
On the main tools the lock detent is firmer than the secondary tools.

Scissors- love em. Feel very sturdy sharp, strong spring. Although they don't have a fine tip they work good.

Saw-It works good I have used it to prune & delicate work of trimming walking stick. It works well on wet & dry wood.

File- Seems pretty good only used a couple times. Although a bit longer would be better.

Flat screwdriver- it works
phillips head- works real well used it a bit & the bottle opener works.😁
What I will say about the screwdrivers the reach is slightly longer compared to the wave & charge interchangable bits as the socket makes it thicker and I prefer to use the extender bar with changeable bits.

Awl- has a chisel tip with edge. Very handy tool used it a bit on plastic buckets.
Can opener- Haven't used it yet but I must say I do like how leatherman has seperated the can opener & bottle opener, not a fan of the combined tool.

Mini pry bar/package tool- It works well to open tin lids & such, the package works well on blister packs

PROS
You have a lot in 1 package, though it is not the lightest tool it's easy to carry.
Everything can be opened 1 handed & more leftie friendly, so it does what it promises so that's a big thumbs up👍
comfortable to use.
easy to clean. that is it's not as fiddly to clean compared to a wave.
Cons
The price! they are bloody expensive, more so here in Australia with the mark up. I wait for sales or the secondry market is your friend
The straight blade could be more traditional leatherman shape & file a touch longer but that's just personal I accept there is no perfect multitool & it needs mass appeal.
The sheath, found the flap a bit long & I don't like the colour. Santa solved that for me with custom sheath.

For me it's a winner. The ease of use & the tool combo makes for a great edc tool.
Cheers
Mitch

View attachment 2037995

The Handle
It is a touch longer than the charge or wave, just as thick across the tools & width is similar. The scales have enough texture to provide a good grip, even with gardening gloves on. The domed screws don't get in the way. When pliers are open the frame is thick enough & rounded to be comfortable to use.
View attachment 2037992
Ease of opening tools.
I am a left hander & most multi tool main tools are set up for right hand use especially if you use the pocket clip. Having said that the p4 is more leftie friendly. The serrated blade & scissors open left handed & all the other tools can be opened left handed. As the lock bar goes all the way across the frame very easy to release even if the blade is on the other side, compared to rotating to close a liner lock. Opening the pliers is easy to do 1 handed, you can flick it like a butterfly knife fast but the fast opening can partially open some of the tools to open, if you just open it at a reasonable pace no problem.
View attachment 2037996
The Tools
Pliers- What can I say they are pliers Wire cutters work, do what they are supposed to & feel very sturdy & comfortable to use.
View attachment 2037994
Serrated knife- Has chisel ground tanto blade. It's my go to blade for dirty or messy work. Great for bags of fertilizer, bit of pruning & rips through boxes(had plenty of them at Christmas). Holds an edge for a good time & easy to touch up on the sharpmaker.

Straight Edge- Modified wharncliffe with a hollow grind. It's sharp & holds a good edge, though not as good as 154CM. What I have found with the hollow grind & the opening slot, when cutting say cardboard & it hits the void there can be want of a better term a drag, nothing huge but just not quite as smooth, found that on my T2 as well. I prefer the profile of the straight blade on the wave & charge but not a deal breaker, I use the serrated blade more anyway.

Scissors- love em. Feel very sturdy sharp, strong spring. Although they don't have a fine tip they work good.

Saw-It works good I have used it to prune & delicate work of trimming walking stick. It works well on wet & dry wood.

File- Seems pretty good only used a couple times. Although a bit longer would be better.

What I will say about the screwdrivers the reach is slightly longer compared to the wave & charge interchangable bits as the socket makes it thicker and I prefer to use the extender bar with changeable bits.

Awl- has a chisel tip with edge. Very handy tool used it a bit on plastic buckets.
Can opener- Haven't used it yet but I must say I do like how leatherman has seperated the can opener & bottle opener, not a fan of the combined tool.

Mini pry bar/package tool- It works well to open tin lids & such, the package works well on blister packs

PROS
You have a lot in 1 package, though it is not the lightest tool it's easy to carry.
Everything can be opened 1 handed & more leftie friendly, so it does what it promises so that's a big thumbs up👍
comfortable to use.
Cons
The price! they are bloody expensive, more so here in Australia with the mark up. I wait for sales or the secondry market is your friend
The straight blade could be more traditional leatherman shape & file a touch longer but that's just personal I accept there is no perfect multitool & it needs mass appeal.
The sheath, found the flap a bit long & I don't like the colour. Santa solved that for me with custom sheath.

For me it's a winner. The ease of use & the tool combo makes for a great edc tool.
Cheers
Mitch
Nice review, Mitch, thank you 🍻

View attachment 2037995

The Handle
View attachment 2037992
Ease of opening tools.
View attachment 2037996
The Tools
View attachment 2037994

PROS
comfortable to use.
Cons

Cheers
Mitch
Thanks for the review. I have some Christmas money burring a hole in my pocket and have been thinking on one of these for awhile.

Thanks for the review. I have some Christmas money burring a hole in my pocket and have been thinking on one of these for awhile.
You are welcome.
Look for sales😊
Alrhough 150us listed on leatherman site is not too bad, at todays conversion around $218 AUD. I picked up mine in black friday sales. The p4 on leatherman Australia site is listed at $366.99AUD.
Good luck.

Last edited:
You are welcome.
Look for sales😊
Alrhough 150us listed on leatherman site is not too bad, at todays conversion around $218 AUD. I oicked mine in black friday sales. The p4 on leatherman Australia site is listed at $366.99AUD.
Good luck.
Good gracious that's expensive! Is the exchange rate, taxes, duties, tariffs or all of the above?

Back