Free Rein SR-3V Performance Videos!

Definitely not looking for the protocol specifics or any of their treatment process. Just wondering about their RESULTING product differentiation. How is SR-3V different based on their heart treatment, compared to other “standard” heat treated 3v or even compared to D3V.
Also not gonna get a answer regarding that... will have to test it or wait for comparison testing.

I can't wait to see a test like this! It'll for sure blow regular standard HTed 3V away, no doubt about it and I bet it'll be right up there at top with other specialized HTs. But who doesn't love a good comparison test?

These vids were very impressive and now that's it's seeing expansion across more models, it's taking the Swamp to the next level.

Just a curiosity: what distinguishes SR-3V from other commercially available 3V or Delta-3V blades?
I know the Busse crew has worked hard on the heat treatment protocol, so I’d love to hear what the improvements are, compared to others! (Especially since I am no metallurgist, and not exactly experienced with too many competing 3V blades.)

There are no super mega magical heat treats, there are good ones and bad ones. 3V will never perform beyond its chemical make up no matter how well it’s heat treated but it can surely perform below its capabilities with a bad heat treat. So long as it’s a low temp temper with cryo it should perform like basically all other low temp tweaks.

Is it possible to get pics of the tang on these swords? Are these similar build to the old swamp rats with the rounded angles and the near full-width or are these trending toward more of a stick tang?
The Res-C no screw, have to drill out the rivet, I don’t think many people are willing to do that. The fit and finish are very high quality. The hand labor hours involved in profiling, sharpening and refining after CNC can be seen and very appreciated as a show piece as well as a work horse. I ended up wrapping the Res-C with tennis racket grip tape as my hands got sweaty became slippery.

Sell your unopened Christmas gifts and get the Swamp Rat Free Reign! I did some arts and crafts with a Harry & David Gift basket that I will be turning into a front yard flower pot for a mint plant. Never plant mint directly in the ground, it spreads like poison ivy after one year.
Buy the Free Reign, it is meant to be used and not a wall hanger. You can be rough and the Free Reign can take it! Feels lighter than the DT12, which I also have, but the fuller makes a huge weight loss difference. It can easily be touched up with a ceramic rod and stropped. The balance point can be moved more towards the handle by adding some tennis grip tape and improves the sweaty bare hand use. Start the wrap near the blade top of the handle and work downwards, this makes the grip tape have upward ridges that prevent the blade from getting away from you during in a fast swing. How is it heat treated? I personally don't care. It is strong enough to chop wood and bone, while not to shattering or chipping during prying and twisting the tip.

I second the recommendation of the tennis racket grip tape. It really makes a great difference in knives which are too slick or grips which are too thin in hand. If you have knives with exposed tangs which get used in the winter and you don't like the cold metal freezing your hand, the grip tape helps a ton there too. If you have a knife with hot spots, this is the ticket.

I picked up some "felt-tac" tennis racket grip tape from Alien Pros and ADV on Amazon and it's good stuff. Wicks sweat away and feels super comfy.

As for the SR-3V, I really can't wait to see that stuff get made into a large chopper. I want one of those so bad! I'm impressed with the test video the Swamp put out and really want to see a lot more use videos and testing of it.

If I was into the small sword style more, I'd have picked one up. As it is, I'm holding out for a larger blade in this steel so I can check it out. I may grab a SR-3V Ratmandu at some point, but I'm really hoping for something 8" or larger, 9" to 12" with a blade shape similar to the DT-12 would be perfect. And while I'm dreaming, give me an 18"-20" two-handed blade that is like 2 1/2 to 3 inches tall for some serious cleaving power. 🐀🧀

Kinda wish I had two of these for the Jown Wick scenario I'll never find myself in...wait weren't these featured in the hitman movie? Subway sword fight?

Back