French regional knives...

Laguiole and Saint Martin, both in Horn. The St. Martin arrived yesterday (through the door!!! Posti have started delivering small packets home again rather than one going to the supermarket desk to collect everything....:( ) very taken by it, an inexpensive but well-finished knife. Super sharp, a much smaller pattern than most French Giants but I don't mind that at all, originally I believe it was a quill knife used by clergy? Likely some legend, but legends can be interesting! Heavy pull and closing, but plenty of blade to grip, delighted with it.

pOqWmLV.jpg

Laguiole and Saint Martin, both in Horn. The St. Martin arrived yesterday (through the door!!! Posti have started delivering small packets home again rather than one going to the supermarket desk to collect everything....:( ) very taken by it, an inexpensive but well-finished knife. Super sharp, a much smaller pattern than most French Giants but I don't mind that at all, originally I believe it was a quill knife used by clergy? Likely some legend, but legends can be interesting! Heavy pull and closing, but plenty of blade to grip, delighted with it.

pOqWmLV.jpg
Nice pair. For some reason they have rounded the bottom end, the typical bec de corbin (crow's beak) she shares with the isoire, sauveterre, yssingeaux, etc... I like these sage leaf shaped blades, excellent for slicing !

Jolipapa Jolipapa I think it's got some 'beak'... my crap photo...but maybe not as pronounced as the norm. Funny they call it Crow's beak looks more like a Puffin or Crossbill to me :D

French giants...I like that.

I had my eye on the St. Martin also, but ultimately chose the similar, but barehead Sauveterre.

52028080027_01d6584367_c.jpg

This one is also fairly diminutive at 9 cm. I should take a picture of it alongside my newest laguiole.
Just settling down complacently and now I see this and get stirring of anotheroneineedlike...:D:eek::cool:

Is that production or custom? Looks very tidy.

Thanks, Will

Happy I could be of service Will Power Will Power . That knife is a factory offering, a 9 cm Sauveterre with snakewood. The Sauveterre is available in 9 cm and 11 cm, in several cover materials. It is offered as a barehead or shadow.

Originally made by Guy Vialis, the rights to the Sauveterre design are now owned by Laguiole en Aubrac.

The Sauveterre is available with or without guillochage. There is a significant premium added for the knives with guillochage.

Last edited:
Despite its popularity, I've always thought of ebony as a rather plain wood. However, I can't deny that it makes for a striking canvas and exhibit for a craftsman's skills. Whether it's an ornate example or a more workmanlike tool, ebony never looks out of place.

53609002494_d06e65d87f_b.jpg
Nice pic of Nice Knives!!

Back