Photos Fresh off the lathe. . . .

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
Got some tools, safety equipment and pen blanks for Christmas. On the way home from being with family, I stopped by a local wood turning store, got more tools and pen and pencil kits. A friend brought his mini lathe over last night, then coached me on making a pen. Today I turned a pencil all by my self and had a blast! Thought I'd share some pictures with you all.

Here's the Pen from last night, turned from a nice piece of Walnut.
pen1_04_resize.jpg

Here's the Pencil I finished this evening. Also turned from Walnut.
pencil1_03_resize.jpg

The little lathe and turning area.
tools_01_resize.jpg

Matching Walnut Pen and Pencil.
walnut_combo1_02_resize.jpg

Another view to show more color.
walnut_combo1_04_resize.jpg

Thanks for looking and feel free to share your turnings and projects if you have some.

Real fine work buddy. Those look very nice. As we discussed I'm ready to put my little lathe into doing something. Haven't really done a lot with it. Had it for years too.

Hot dang! Would you look at that! Great work Heber! Do you buy pen kits for the metal parts or what? Id love to make a few of those. They look great!

Real fine work buddy. Those look very nice. As we discussed I'm ready to put my little lathe into doing something. Haven't really done a lot with it. Had it for years too.

Thanks Joe, that means a lot coming from you. Put that lathe to work! Be you could come up with some cool stuff to turn.

Hot dang! Would you look at that! Great work Heber! Do you buy pen kits for the metal parts or what? Id love to make a few of those. They look great!

Thanks! Yes, I buy pen kits which include the metal parts, ink and directions. You supply the wood, tools, and finish. Feel free to email or PM me for links if you need some help finding parts or kits or what ever.

Here's a fire steel handle that I just turned from Black Walnut. Turning wood sure is fun!

fire-steel1_01_resize.jpg fire-steel1_02_resize.jpg fire-steel1_03_resize.jpg

Heck yeah man, they look great. Looks limitless what you can do with that lathe. Great job brother.

Well I broke down and ordered a starter kit for making a pen too. Wildman kind of instigated it, he surely did.
Now all I keep thinking is I hope I don't end up with a chisel in my forehead, that just might leave a mark.
Had a lathe for many years and other than a few kubotons I never did much with it. This might be just the thing.
I'll split up my small pieces of wood not big enough for grips or knife handles and share them with my mentor.

Wife got me a wood stabilizing set up too. Will have to experiment with that some, hopefully I can get that working good too.
I'm a bit leary of that as I know part of the secret is the recipe which I know very little about. But we shall give er a go.

Heck yeah man, they look great. Looks limitless what you can do with that lathe. Great job brother.

Thanks! There's so much that you can do. I have so much to learn.

Well I broke down and ordered a starter kit for making a pen too. Wildman kind of instigated it, he surely did.
Now all I keep thinking is I hope I don't end up with a chisel in my forehead, that just might leave a mark.
Had a lathe for many years and other than a few kubotons I never did much with it. This might be just the thing.
I'll split up my small pieces of wood not big enough for grips or knife handles and share them with my mentor.

Wife got me a wood stabilizing set up too. Will have to experiment with that some, hopefully I can get that working good too.
I'm a bit leary of that as I know part of the secret is the recipe which I know very little about. But we shall give er a go.

Congrats! Can't wait to see your pens and stabilized woods.

Hope to turn another pen tomorrow. Maybe some Christmas ornaments too.

It took longer then I planned to turn the Ornaments, but I finally got them done. #1 is Oak (tan), #2 Padauk (orange), and #3 Wenge (chocolate brown). Bawanna Bawanna sent me the Wenge along with some other wood. Thanks man!

Attachments

• first3_01_resize.jpg
    first3_01_resize.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 6
  • first3_02_resize.jpg
    first3_02_resize.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 6
  • first3_03_resize.jpg
    first3_03_resize.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 6
I think wildman put a spell on me or something. I got a few pen kits today in the mail.

30 to be exact. This should keep me busy for quite a spell between other things.
Now I got the stuff and the desire, just need the time and the energy.

That's great Joe! Looking forward to seeing more pictures from you. By the way, a local wood worker was telling my mom; "You'll get hooked on turning, if you start". I think we are hooked!

I think we are and I tell the world it's all your fault. When you want to skip other stuff to spin wood, I'd say your hooked.

Whats a french polish, I might work on checkering one but won't be no simple task.

Whats a french polish, I might work on checkering one but won't be no simple task.
From Wikipedia:

French polishing is a wood finishing technique that results in a very high gloss surface, with a deep colour.... French polishing consists of applying many thin coats of shellac dissolved in denatured alcohol using a rubbing pad lubricated with one of a variety of oils.​

An example:

20160228_102737.jpg

The subject is not without controversy. Many people swear by French polish because that's what was used on classical guitars and high-end furniture way back when, like in the days of Sr. Stradivarius. However, some say that French polish was the best that they had back then, but some modern polishes are just as good and you can finish a project before you die of old age.

Also, French polish is not the most durable finish, hence questionable for objects (or parts of objects) that are handled a lot.

Personally I have done extreme high polish, but not French polish. One reason is that I like high polish, but not high gloss. Another reason is that life is short. :)

For a very small project, like a pen, French polish might be a little less strenuous, but if you actually plan to write with it, the finish might not be durable enough.

From Wikipedia:

French polishing is a wood finishing technique that results in a very high gloss surface, with a deep colour.... French polishing consists of applying many thin coats of shellac dissolved in denatured alcohol using a rubbing pad lubricated with one of a variety of oils.​

An example:

20160228_102737.jpg

The subject is not without controversy. Many people swear by French polish because that's what was used on classical guitars and high-end furniture way back when, like in the days of Sr. Stradivarius. However, some say that French polish was the best that they had back then, but some modern polishes are just as good and you can finish a project before you die of old age.

Also, French polish is not the most durable finish, hence questionable for objects (or parts of objects) that are handled a lot.

Personally I have done extreme high polish, but not French polish. One reason is that I like high polish, but not high gloss. Another reason is that life is short. :)

For a very small project, like a pen, French polish might be a little less strenuous, but if you actually plan to write with it, the finish might not be durable enough.

I've been finishing my turnings with Friction Polish. It's essentially French Polishing. It's Shellac, Alcohol and Boiled Linseed Oil. I've heard you can make it food grade by dissolving Shellac flakes in Food grade Alcohol, then mixing that with 100% pure Linseed or Tung oil. Supposedly they are safe for Wood Salad bowls. Mineral oil is food safe, I use it on my wood utensils, but it doesn't react to the Shellac and Alcohol properly.

French Polish or Friction Polish looks dang good! Might not be the strongest finish, but it's still nice. I think I'll apply a Polyurethane sealer to items that need to be water repellent.

Dang right its controversial because it take weeks to do it right. Like Heber says "Life Is Short" so you really must want to learn it real bad! Shellac cut with Alcohol usually 1-2 pound mix ratio. I havent heard of mixing linseed oil with it but im new to it so that makes sense. Some wax over french polish to make it more durable. Some mix pumice in the pad on the first few rubs then on the next few hundred rubs I suppose it just wears into the wood and takes a polish. The results are pretty astounding and the Masters charge a pretty penny or should I say a few Krugerrands to do it. If you got a 5 million dollar Stradivari or a curved spine then I guess it dont matter to ya because youll pay it anyway. Im thinking a pen would polish pretty well on the lathe. Take it off and it might take some time? Do a search on The Tube and you'll see how involved it is. French polish over checkered surface...impossible i say!

The Friction Polish only takes a minute or two to dry between coats. I apply a coat to the turning while its spinning on the lathe on a low speed, let it soak in and spin for a minute. Then I apply another coat and allow to dry. Sand, then apply another coat. 4 to 6 applications with sanding in between makes for a pretty finish on the wood. May take pictures this weekend of the process, if I have time and help.

Wax over the top of friction polish is recommended. Ten wax is what a few local shops use. I'm going to try that soon.

I just been putting some of Bookies magical linseed oil on after spinning. First one I tried super glue as it was suggested that many did that, the result was not good but I put very little effort into that first one.
I get them very smooth and a coat of linseed and they look great.

Cool! I just saw a vid of a dude trying to bring out some more purple from purple heart by burning it. He wasnt very uniform on the burning part but the polishing process is kinda what I was envisioning. I think he was turning at 500rpms? Thats slow as heck for what im used to on metals etc. It that similar to what yall do to polish?

Man yall are corrupting me quickly! I dont need any more hobbies:D
Hey what about antler? That would be killer wouldnt it?

Back