friction folders, T.M.Hunt style.

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
So the story begins about 13 years ago or so, I tried and failed in making a folding knife. It was a liner lock style knife and I didn't have much clue what I was doing, oh, it worked O.K. I guess but it never did lock quite right and just wasn't up to snuff as far as I was concerned. A little while after that I tried again, this time a slip joint with bone handles that I broke penning the pins. Out of frustration I believe it resides at the bottom of the pond behind my house.

I never abandoned hope, and someday I promise to sell my own designs of folders (already have the designs) but until then I am having a blast getting to know the working mechanisms and the art of fitting the blades in the handles. I figured like a lot of things I was over thinking it and probably over complicating it. So, I decided just to go back to my roots and have fun with it, grab materials that I like and just let the natural materials dictate the design and let be what was to be, in the meantime I have not only had fun, but I'm learning a lot.

Heres a few projects........

This first one I just let my hands, materials, and mind make what it wanted to make. Evidently, they all wanted to make a folding straight razor, cleaver lookin thingy. :)

My new little EDC

A 1974 penny calls the back of this little booger its home..... The year I was born.

This one I finished up today.

The turquoise heart inlay is a classy touch I think.

File work cover every inch of the blade that doesn't have a edge on it.

As always thanks for lookin, would love to hear what you guys think and know if there any love for the friction folder out there, be happy to answer any questions as well!

Last edited:
Wow. ........I want one!!

Beautiful Mr Hunt and congrats on the accomplishment.

Eta: the blade profile of your antler edc is just darn perfect. Love it!

Wow. Fantastic work as always, Todd. I really like these new folders.

Have you played with the idea of turning the tang into a bottle opener?

Dude, you have some crazy skills man. Those are completely sick, all of them. You need to post this on the other forum.

Wow. Fantastic work as always, Todd. I really like these new folders.

Have you played with the idea of turning the tang into a bottle opener?

Already have one layed out for Murph with a bottle opener in it.

Wow. ........I want one!!

Beautiful Mr Hunt and congrats on the accomplishment.

Eta: the blade profile of your antler edc is just darn perfect. Love it!

Gorgeous pieces, Todd. I really like the file work on the larger folder.

Dude, you have some crazy skills man. Those are completely sick, all of them. You need to post this on the other forum.

HOLY....wow!

......I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor......

Speechless...

Stunning work!

You are quite a designer and craftsman. Beautiful pieces!

Likey very much

Thanks guys, its really kinda a full circle thing for me, I've tried and failed several times years ago making folders, and to see them coming out like this has me super excited. Not that friction folders are highly complicated, but since there all made from natural materials that dictate the design, none of them are the same so I'm learning a lot with each one. The last one I made with the turquoise heart inlay functions flawlessly. I made and installed .005 shims that go inside of it that eliminates the friction marks on the side of the blade, and I cam shaped the back stop and it clicks solidly open and locks into place. No closing this one on your finger......
I love the artistry in these pieces and will continue to make more as time allows. I will try to offer some for sale soon, as these have already been spoken for before I can even offer them officially for sale.
As far as other folders, liner locks, slipnoints. once I feel I have a good enough grasp on the mechanisms involved, its just a matter of time before I add them to the line up, thats the whole point of this really. That and having a little bit of fun.

I love the artistry in these pieces and will continue to make more as time allows. I will try to offer some for sale soon, as these have already been spoken for before I can even offer them officially for sale.
That really doesn't sound like such a bad problem to have. :thumbup:

Thanks, I just realized I didnt post any pics of it fully open, it was pretty big overall.

I didn't even have it for sale, but as soon as I posted a pic on instagram, a gentleman just had to have it, I didn't even own it more than a couple of days.

Todd, I love the bigger one with the checkering file jimping all across the spine!
Damn, that's hot.

Back