Friend's of KA-BAR Knife Giveaway

Just for future reference, where is the Friend's of Ka-Bar thread?

Up at the top of the screen, in the Bladeforums header are 2 rows of link buttons. The bottom row has one identified as "Community" with a down arrow. One of the categories below that is "Groups". Click that and pick out the Fans of Kabar group. You can sign up there.

Edit: Got "in" too late, you'd be surprised how often that happens.

Congrats Lethal!

Last edited:
The Knife was waiting for me after work Wednesday. Thanks moose and thanks to kabar for the give away. Hopefully I'll have time to get a couple pictures up this weekend. Heck, this is so awesome I may even make it some new pants.

Congrats on the win, Lethal and Thanks Moose for the opportunity.

zzyzzogeton, I would just like to go on record that I enjoy to no end that you have quoted yourself in your sig line.

Congrats, Lethal.

Thanks, Moose, we appreciate everything you do for us here.

-OKB

Thanks for the comment, OKB. A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, i.e., elementary school, the only knives I had were a variety of small, slip joint folding knives.

Due to not being the sharpest knife in the drawer on ALL occasions, I would cut a finger at times when the knife in use would close on me while being used for NON-knife uses - screw driver, staple remover, etc. After the 4th or 5th time, I finally got hit by a big enough clue stick and started using screw drivers instead of knives for non-knife tasks.

After my grandfather gave me my first fixed blade (Western L46-5) (story in another thread), I flat fell in love with fixed blades and started using my tag line phrase whenever I saw someone using a folder (very few of my school friends had locking knives or fixed blades in the 60s). I have 90+ Kabar fixed blades ranging from the 1920s to 2013, 130+ Western fixed blades, and another 80+ fixed blades of MK1s, MK2s, swords, bayonets, machetes and WW1/2 Bolos. Did I mention, I liked fixed blades?

Except when in uniform during my 24+ years in the Navy ROTC and active/reserve service or when prohibited by the location (schools, courthouses, etc) I have carried a fixed blade.

It's my theory that the first folding knives were thought up by liberal folk who got scared every time they saw a knife blade outside of the kitchen.

Thanks for the comment, OKB. A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, i.e., elementary school, the only knives I had were a variety of small, slip joint folding knives.

Due to not being the sharpest knife in the drawer on ALL occasions, I would cut a finger at times when the knife in use would close on me while being used for NON-knife uses - screw driver, staple remover, etc. After the 4th or 5th time, I finally got hit by a big enough clue stick and started using screw drivers instead of knives for non-knife tasks.

After my grandfather gave me my first fixed blade (Western L46-5) (story in another thread), I flat fell in love with fixed blades and started using my tag line phrase whenever I saw someone using a folder (very few of my school friends had locking knives or fixed blades in the 60s). I have 90+ Kabar fixed blades ranging from the 1920s to 2013, 130+ Western fixed blades, and another 80+ fixed blades of MK1s, MK2s, swords, bayonets, machetes and WW1/2 Bolos. Did I mention, I liked fixed blades?

Except when in uniform during my 24+ years in the Navy ROTC and active/reserve service or when prohibited by the location (schools, courthouses, etc) I have carried a fixed blade.

This makes me enjoy it even more. Great story, thanks for sharing.

-OKB

I remember in my younger days doing the same thing on occasion. The blade closing on my fingers because I was young and dumb, and tried to use the blade going the wrong direction. One of my first pocket knives was a Buck Companion type with no blade lock. I really loved that knife, but I never liked (who does really?) that it would close on me during moments of idiocy or inexperience. Then later I had some other brands, but once the locking blade became known to me, I have not looked back. Actually, these experiences as a kid have always influenced what blades I buy and use now. It has to have a blade lock of some sort/function or I will not use it.

I have a few old Case pocket knives I inherited from my Grandfather and Great Uncle, that I would love to carry just for stories sake so I could pass down the notion to my own kids that knives are really special, that they are nostalgic, that they are memorable, beautiful and still functional. Well, since they have no lock, they sit in the drawer instead.

They remain there because I'd probably cut myself with them having become used to blade locks. Actually, I have moved to small fixed blades as every time options, having lost interest and faith in folders altogether, no matter who makes them or if they have a blade lock or not.

Last edited:
Back