from bad to worse

Hi, this is my first post but i've browsed this forum before. There's a lot of good info here so i've decided to post my story on what NOT to do with your knife. OK, so my SOG Flash 2 has some blade play in it and i decided to tighten it up. After a while, there was blade play again to i decided to get some threadlock (or loc-tite). This is where the trouble begins...

I unscrew it and i decide to take the other part out as well to clean it (female part male part). I guess i forgot it was an assisted opener so the blade like springs out, and little plastic washers fall out... So I clean it, dry it, then add the threadlock. I had a hard time slipping the washers back in and but i managed to put 2 in, and left one out. Then i try and put it together, but the screw (female part??) doesn't go back in!! So the threadlock is dripping everywhere (and your not supposed to get it on your hands), all over the knife and my hands. After 10 mins, it finally goes in, and i tighten it. BUT, it had even more blade play in it becuase i left 1 washer out. I take it apart again, add the other washer (the washers are pretty much all bent now) and again, i had a hard time putting the female piece back in. Being the stupid guy I am, i decided to add more threadlock (all over knife and hands). When i go to tighten it, i end up stripping it so the screw is half way in. I try using a really small screw driver but it broke the bits off the screwdriver. I use a bigger screwdriver and tried to hammer it into the screw, my screw driver breaks...

In the end, I have a sog with A LOT of blade play, treadlock (loctite) all over it, and a screw sticking out if the side...

Yes, I know, I'm really stupid...:(
So I guess I'm going to get a new knife now... I wonder if my warrenty is still good? :rolleyes:

Give yourself credit for trying! :D and welcome to Bladeforums.
Any more good stories?

Welcome to BF.

Great first post, sounds like you need to visit the exchange forums as you need to buy a new knife.

Steve

At least you have a good excuse for buying a new knife! There's lots of nice stuff to be had, too. Welcome to BF.

Thread locking adhesives should be applied in very small doses.

Generally, the dropper tip on the bottle they come in is intended for applying the adhesive to bolts used in bridge building. For knives, use the bottle dropper to put a drop of the adhesive on a bit of waxed paper. From there, use a toothpick to transfer just a tiny bit to the screw.

You can read more about threadlocking adhesives for knives HERE

Man did you have a bad day! :p

Have fun picking out a new knife! Oh, and welcome to BF. :)

~ashes

yo, man. you had me laughing so hard i had tears in my eyes and took a long time to finish reading your post. BUT, i really feel for you. i have been there and done that myself so don't feel like the lone ranger. when you get a new knife, save your pennies and get a sebbie, no blade play and easy to take apart etc.etc. blah, blah.
cheers, keep the pointy end away from you.

hahaha, thanks for the great replies. I really don't have enough money for a sebenza (tuition is expensive!!) and I have no folder to carry around now (it feels like i'm "naked" or something). Oh yeah, right before i messed my knife up, i actually sharpened it and put a really nice beveled edge on it. But, i think i've got my new knife picked out, CRKT M16 titanium.

On a side note, my girlfriend viewed this forum and said that everyone here seems really nice!:)

Ahh. . .Grasshopper, so honest in your first post. Welcome to the home of misfit toys. Send thine self to the Exchange and pick yourself out a new pointy thing to play with!:D

Oh, and Gollnick, you should have those instructions posted permanently somewhere in the forum!

Dayuhan

Originally posted by VampyreWolf
ok, so where are yah up north here?

Ahh, more Canadians! I live in beautiful British Columbia (Vancouver), home of smoked salmon and the Vancouver Canucks.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has those kind of misadventures...:D

Enjoy the forums, and have fun picking out a new knife.

Back