From my Grandfather

My Grandfather was a tobacco farmer and he loved pocketknives. He passed away in 1982. I was looking through some old stuff I had put away and came across this Case 5488 he left me. I remember when he bought it from a flea market in a box of knives he bought for $6.00. We had a good laugh when we looked at the contents of the box.
5488Congress_7322.jpg

5488Congress_7314.jpg

5488Congress_7316.jpg

5488Congress_7317.jpg

It's resting on an old tabacco knife he gave me.
There was also a toenail in the box. It's worth more that six bucks now.
Thought I would share, it is traditional and was passed on.

Great story and great looking knife.

I'm sure it brings back plenty of memories every time you look at it.

My Grandfather was a tobacco farmer and he loved pocketknives. He passed away in 1982. I was looking through some old stuff I had put away and came across this Case 5488 he left me. I remember when he bought it from a flea market in a box of knives he bought for $6.00. We had a good laugh when we looked at the contents of the box.
5488Congress_7322.jpg

5488Congress_7314.jpg

5488Congress_7316.jpg

5488Congress_7317.jpg

It's resting on an old tabacco knife he gave me.
There was also a toenail in the box. It's worth more that six bucks now.
Thought I would share, it is traditional and was passed on.

Yup, I would say its worth a helluvalot more than 6.00USD at this point. And I don't mean dollars and cents. Nice memory that you and your Grandpa had, actually I am a little envious, as both of mine died before I was old enough to really benefit from they're wisdom. .

But anyway, I had a question for you on that sweet Case Congress pattern: Count the dots tang stamped underneath the U.S.A. stamp to let us tell you the age of the knife, if that's OK with you?.

And Welcome to our little side of the hollow, of this fine forum. :)

It is a "USA" a '65 to '70 model. My younger brother is a Case guy and I also sent him the pictures, he has seen it before of course. I am into custom fixed blades and he can tell you the Case model number from across the room. He also has an impressive Canoe collection.

WOW that is gorgeous, second cut stag too, wouldnt be any dots, Case didnt make any of those beauties after 69-70

Back