Frozen Fire (AKA Beating On A H.E.S.T.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistwalker

Gold Member
The 3/16 thick 1095 HC spring steel, shadow-boxed handle scales, extended tang, Hi-Sabre grind, and wicked sharp point not only make the DPx H.E.S.T one sexy design, they come together in a combination that might as well be wearing a t-shirt that says "abuse me, I can take it". So...that's just what I do with it sometimes.

Today's little experiment was "frozen fire" where I got my tinder and fuel from the drier center of a frozen log sticking up in the air because pretty much everything else...other than the pile of fatwood I kept stepping over... was soaked through from the recent days of rain, then snow, then sleet, then freezing rain and ice, then more rain.

The shadow-boxed handle is cool for this because you can really beat on the knife without much fear of beating the handle scales off.

DSC_6972.jpg

DSC_6974.jpg

The extended tang makes it easy to drive the wicked sharp point into the wood in chisel fashion.

DSC_6979.jpg

Then more beating on the spine...

DSC_6980.jpg

DSC_6981.jpg

DSC_6982.jpg

More beating on the tang...

DSC_6983.jpg

and some prying then the first of the fuel

DSC_6985.jpg

DSC_6987.jpg

Then a little more beating on the spine...

DSC_6988.jpg

end part 1 of 3

and a little more driving it in chisel fashion...

DSC_6989.jpg

DSC_6991.jpg

and a little more prying and I have my tinder.

DSC_6993.jpg

DSC_6995.jpg

DSC_7000.jpg

Now to process it.

DSC_7001.jpg

DSC_7004.jpg

DSC_7005.jpg

end part 2 of 3

and then to turn it into flames...and yes I did use a lighter...you can see the steam burning off as even the center of this log is damp.

DSC_7006.jpg

DSC_7007.jpg

DSC_7010.jpg

DSC_7012.jpg

DSC_7017.jpg

DSC_7024.jpg

Nice write up and pics man, thanks for sharing! Now I really can't wait for mine to get here

Mist, my H.E.S.T. just got here Wednesday of this week from Howe's Knife Shop (I know, shameless plug again) & I started wondering if I had made an error because of it being so small, but guess not from the looks of those shots. Not used to such a small blade being able to do that. Thanks for sharing, now I'm like Jroden5446, can't wait to get out next week with it.
Thanks again.
Be safe.
p.s.: We forgive you for using the Bic . . . :D :thumbup:

Nice write up and pics man, thanks for sharing! Now I really can't wait for mine to get here

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed the post. The HEST is an awesome little tool.

Mist, my H.E.S.T. just got here Wednesday of this week from Howe's Knife Shop (I know, shameless plug again) & I started wondering if I had made an error because of it being so small, but guess not from the looks of those shots. Not used to such a small blade being able to do that. Thanks for sharing, now I'm like Jroden5446, can't wait to get out next week with it.
Thanks again.
Be safe.
p.s.: We forgive you for using the Bic . . . :D :thumbup:

It's not like I've been edc-ing this thing for a year just because it's so damned sexy ;)

Two days after I got the first one I ordered my second one.

Yeah...I use a bic in "reality" quite a bit actually. Firesteels are fun and all and I love to practice with them a lot and teach people how to use them... but...

...might as well be wearing a t-shirt that says "abuse me, I can take it"

I'd love to meet a girl wearing that shirt...

Nice pics and great write up on an awesome knife. I curious to see what RYP comes up with for the HEST 2

nice work, mistwalker, and great pics, as always
they really show what the HEST is capable of, in the right hands

Thanks Jack, glad you enjoyed the post.

The HEST is absolutely an aesome little tool. I can't wait to see what RYP has cooked up for the HEST-II

As usual, great write-up, mist. You're prybar seems a bit short, but then again, not all of us are blessed with length :)

Hey Mistwalker,

What is that green thing to the right of your split sticks in this picture?

:D
JGON

That's the rare and illusive Bic lighter :D

As usual, great write-up, mist. You're prybar seems a bit short, but then again, not all of us are blessed with length :)

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah well...some of us don't mind the thought of a reduction when we have more than we need :p

I just customized it to suit some specific needs of my own. Sometimes I want/like/need to be able to re-enter my truck quickly (some people are more camera shy than others) and when it rains and freezes here...as it often does here in the winter...that becomes more difficult. It's still well within the lines of Dpx thinking :) .

Now if you handta circumzied the prybar you could have "pried" that chunk of wood off and made perfect little 1/4" curled shavings :)
Excellent pics!

Now if you handta circumzied the prybar you could have "pried" that chunk of wood off and made perfect little 1/4" curled shavings :)
Excellent pics!

Yeah yeah...I know. I went round and round with myself over that...but still works out ok :)

Thanks, glad you liked the photos ! Coming from you that's a great compliment!

You cheated !!!

You of all people know you must use a bow and drill or it does not count, I call do-over !!!

:D

Nice, man nice.. I may have decided NOT to sell my HEST after your post!!:rolleyes:

Take care,

Rob

Thanks for the kind words guys, I love my HESTs and this one goes where I go.

Isn't survival all about cheating? If nothing else cheating death :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back