FRS

I bought a Motorola FR60 two pack and now I'm a kid again
biggrin.gif
My 6 year old son and I look for excuses to talk on them around the house and the neighborhood
smile.gif

I bought them for family outings. Took the family to Legoland and we split up. Wasted an hour and a half trying to get back together again. I was thinking about getting a second cell but decided to try this for now.

Anybody else buy some 2-way radios for "legitimate" reasons but ended up playing with them?

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Been thinking about it for a while. Are teh FR60's the maroonish ones with the button on the side?

Been debating on those and the SLK series. How clear ore the FR60's?

I wanted a set for when the SO and I are in different cars going to same place. I also thought it would come in handy running ethernet cable.

Thanks,

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

They definitely have their uses, and can be quite handy and fun at times.

While I don't have any right now, we've used them at work during material inventory periods. We used them recently during a car show that had an autocross competition going on. The show was on one channel and the racing (corner workers, timers, etc.) were on another. It really worked great. I don't have many experiences at all where I myself would get alot of use out of them, but for families and group outings, they're great. Then again, on some of the bike trips we do, it would be great to know where everybody is... Hmm, I'll have to think about this again.

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Mine are blue. I don't know if they come in different colors.

The are pretty clear but I've only tested them to 1/4 mile. Not the 2 mile advertised range. I don't like how the vox cuts off the first word.

I imagine on the road you'll run into more radio traffic. Get the 14 channel instead of the 2 channel.

One of the big deciding factors for me was the use of AA batteries. The others I looked at use AAA batteries. I place more faith in AA's for battery life.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Walt: bwahahahaha!

I hope you wear your SEALs watch and have strapped on your ATAK when you play that.

More seriously, I've been thinking about getting these as well. My wife and I both have cell phones, which I consider must-have safety equipment. But those radios could come in handier when splitting up while hiking, when taking two cars to the same place, etc.

Joe

I have 4 Talkabouts. I've used them for follow-the-leader in cars. Kept everyone in contact at amusement parks. They saved alot wait and search time at the Bay to Breakers.
Chi

Back