• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

FS: Spyderco Franken Native 5 (Withdrawn) & Spyderco Slysz Bowie-SOLD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Please read through everything to inform yourself fully and to help ensure a smooth deal! Important information has been bolded.

Up for sale today is a Franken Native 5 made from the saber ground blade of the CPM 154/S90V CF sprint and the grey FRN handle from the Maxamet model and a nice example of a Spyderco Slysz Bowie. There's nothing wrong with either of them although to be clear, neither of these are "New in Box" although I would say they are in "great to excellent" condition.

The reason I'm putting these two up for sale is because they haven't seen any or very little use in their time with me and I'm looking to try and recoup some funds after another recent purchase - this means I'm also not really interested in trades at the moment.

The Franken Native was made from two knives sourced from the exchange and while the knives were partially disassembled to facilitate the blade swap, the resulting knife was never used to cut anything. The Slysz Bowie was sold to me in "Excellent/NIB" condition iirc, but upon receiving it, it had obviously seen some pocket time from the amount of gunk in the nooks and crannies of the knife. In its time with me, I immediately broke it down to give it as thorough a cleaning as I could and then I brought it to work twice immediately afterwards and used it. Ever since then, it's just been sitting in a drawer untouched. Additional photos of each knife can be found by clicking the title of the respective knife.

Spyderco Franken-Native 5 (CPM 154/S90V blade & Maxamet Grey FRN handle) $160USD -> $150USD -> $160CDN -> Withdrawn (03/08/19)

ZhdyB7b.jpg

Since this isn't a stock knife from the factory, I'll do a little bit of explaining before I dive into the details. I bought both the Grey FRN Maxamet and Peel-ply CF CPM154/S90V Native 5's off the exchange here with the express purpose of doing a blade swap so I'd end up with the Maxamet blade in the CF handle (with liners). The CF CPM154/S90V Native 5 was sold to me as BNIB and while I can't remember what condition the Maxamet Native was sold to me in, it was in excellent condition in my opinion; it looked like it had maybe been carried a little bit and hadn't cut much, if anything. Given that my goal was to make and hold onto a Maxamet/CF Native, this one was made with the other parts and since reassembling it, I haven't carried or used it due to a complete lack of interest on my part, so it's being moved so it can find a more appreciative owner! It's my hope that the tougher sabre ground CPM154/S90V blade combined with the very practical and attractive grey FRN handle will make this an excellent work knife for someone!

- During its time with me, I carried the stock Native 5 Maxamet a couple of times, but I can't find any noticeable or obvious wear marks anywhere on the FRN scales. I never cut anything with the CPM154/S90V blade
- Centering looks to be dead on; however, given that the blade stock on this blade is much thicker for more of the height of the blade than the FFG Maxamet blade that the grey FRN handle was originally paired with, the blade does rub on the inside of the FRN scales roughly where the sabre grind starts midway through the blade from what I can see
- The blade locks up rock solid with no play in the horizontal or vertical dimensions
- The action is excellent for a back lock (much better than the action on my Fraken-Native 5 to my slight disappointment); it's very smooth to open and close and depressing and holding the lock bar to release tension allows the blade to rotate freely!
- Haven't had to maintain the knife or sharpen it for for obvious reasons during it's short time with me; however, I did partially disassemble the knife (again, obviously) to swap the blade out and when I did, I lubed the pivot with some oil before reassembling the knife
- I'm not the original owner(s); the knife comes with the Native 5 CF CPM154/S90V box

*SOLD* Spyderco Slysz Bowie $435CDN *SOLD*

5jQTxBU.jpg

- Used a couple of times while in my possession; has some wear/carry marks (see photos)
- Disassembled for cleaning/maintenance when first in my possession to remove debris in nooks and crevices; a little bit of debris is still in the channels for the wire clip and there's some dirt in the jimping of the backspacer (see photos)
- Blade centering is dead on
- No discernable blade play in any direction when the blade is locked open, lock up appears to be around 50% (see photos)
- Very smooth hydraulic action when opening or closing; blade will drop shut if tension is removed from the lock bar
- Edge looks to be fine, although it would probably benefit from a touch up
- Not the original owner; knife was sold to me "as is," so unfortunately none of the original paperwork or the box will come with the knife - if you buy this, you just get the knife

I'm willing to entertain reasonable offers. If you're going to make an offer other than the posted price though, please either PM me or leave a vistor's message on my profile. I'll accept payment by PayPal - G&S only (fees have been built into the price) or via EMT. Shipping is included to most Canadian and US addresses which will be by Canada Post Xpresspost and unless otherwise specified by the buyer, will include tracking, signature confirmation upon delivery, and insurance.

First "I'll take it" posted in this thread or by PM/VM gets it. After that, I'll expect to have the funds within 24 hours of the post/message, after which the claim will expire and whoever's next in line gets a chance at it.

Miscellaneous Info:
- I live on the West Coast and work some early mornings, so replies/messages/email after about 10:00pm Vancouver time may not get a response until the following day
- I can work long hours and I don't work at a desk, so I'll try my best to respond quickly to any queries and such, but I may not be able to always respond right away.
- After purchase and upon delivery, please contact me if you're unhappy with a knife you've bought from me in any way! I'm confident that if you're unhappy, we can work something out to our mutual satisfaction.
- If you need more pictures or have any other questions, just ask! I'll be happy to accomodate!
- For sales outside of Canada, I'm not responsible for any duties/fees/taxes that may be incurred; as well you're responsible for knowing your own local laws/regulations as I'm not going to be responsible for anything that gets confiscated trying to make its way through customs.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I'm very interested in the Slysz Bowie. Do you have any other pictures of the blade? It doesn't look like the normal mirror stonewashed finish on the pictures. I can be emailed at cdscowcroft at gmail dot com

If the Slysz Bowie has the mirror stonewash and everything is legit with the blade, I'll take it. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't one of those fakes floating around.

If the Slysz Bowie has the mirror stonewash and everything is legit with the blade, I'll take it. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't one of those fakes floating around.

To my knowledge it looks to be real; as well, the difference in the appearance of the stone wash could be from the lighting in the photos.

Could you shoot me a couple more pictures showing the finish? I definitely want it if everything is good. I'm in California, btw.

Could you shoot me a couple more pictures showing the finish? I definitely want it if everything is good. I'm in California, btw.

I'd be more than happy to send you some pictures of the blade once I'm home in a few hours, however you currently have "thirds" on it behind a couple PM's. I'll reach out to you if things fall through with the others. As well, shipping it to California wouldn't be an issue if you were to end up the buyer.

Also, as long as you say it's good, I'm fine with sending you the payment right away and you just sending the pictures later.

Also, as long as you say it's good, I'm fine with sending you the payment right away and you just sending the pictures later.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm working off of the order of who reached out to me first. The first gentleman and I weren't able to reach an agreement so I've just reached out to the person behind them. If things don't work out with them either, or I don't hear back from them today, you'll be next in line for it.

As well, I'll get you some more photos of the blade shortly.

Cheers.

Okay, thanks. This is my grail and somehow I keep missing out on getting one. I appreciate your responses. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back