FUBAR

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings earthlings,
this knife is called 'FUBAR' and it's a take on the classic KABAR combat knife.

It's made from .19" CPM 3V, cryogenic quenched and left with the mill scale and a belt finish. The guard is stainless steel, as are the corby bolts and the four hidden pins which secure the front of the handle to the guard. Liners and spacers are G10 and handle scales are Terotuf.

The sheath is meant to be versatile. Both the keeper strap and the belt loop are detachable, and can be used independently.

I'll post more pictures of the handle during construction, to show the overly convoluted way I figured would provide the most durability.

MrLmg22.jpg

eSLwFX9.jpg

hvXunEL.jpg

LpUJBeJ.jpg

lIM9TEr.jpg

thHexMq.jpg

wzj6Fud.jpg

dnk1haQ.jpg

YUOYxCN.jpg

ckW1c1A.jpg

3pHHDCJ.jpg

HUnjslU.jpg

Thanks for looking, and feel free to comment and share your opinions.

Cheers!

This is a top notch knife, Lorien! I've been looking forward to seeing this one all finished up and it does not disappoint - fine leather as well. Do you plan on listing this one?
Thank you Dylan!
I'm torn on whether or not to list it for sale. I'd like to have it with me at Blade show, just as a show and tell and hopefully to get some pointers by some of those top shelf knife making dudes there

This one looks awesome Lorien! I love the look and I'd bet anything from your other designs that it feels amazing in hand ... both knife and sheath ... it looks like an wonderful package!

Another reason I wish I was going to Blade to handle that beauty!

This one looks awesome Lorien! I love the look and I'd bet anything from your other designs that it feels amazing in hand ... both knife and sheath ... it looks like an wonderful package!

Another reason I wish I was going to Blade to handle that beauty!
thank you so much! I love this knife and would totally keep it- it does feel really good and solid and has a nice balance to it as well. This design isn't going anywhere, I'll definitely make more down the road

Thank you Dylan!
I'm torn on whether or not to list it for sale. I'd like to have it with me at Blade show, just as a show and tell and hopefully to get some pointers by some of those top shelf knife making dudes there

Some show and tell at Blade Show sounds like a perfect venue for this sweet blade. I hope you get some positive feedback, I don't see how it couldn't generate some solid buzz.

I'm definitely going to need me one though if you're planning on keeping the design. :cool:

Lorien:
I think BBAR (beautiful beyond all recognition) is more fitting. I am sure it could get you out of many a FUBAR situation! Everything about it looks superb and I am sure you will have a nice crowd hounding you at Blade. You make some seriously stabby knives.

Lorien:
I think BBAR (beautiful beyond all recognition) is more fitting. I am sure it could get you out of many a FUBAR situation! Everything about it looks superb and I am sure you will have a nice crowd hounding you at Blade. You make some seriously stabby knives.
you're too kind! Man, I've always been so practical with my knives- is it weird that I'm making all this stabby weapony stuff?

----------

inside the handle, are two chunks of low rebound, high durometer natural rubber which you can see in the pic below. I have no way to test whether or not they will help damp impact energy, but I figured it made enough sense to try it since they can't really cause any trouble.
Also visible are the 4 holes drilled into the back of the guard/bolster for the hidden pins. Lining all that shit up was tricky
X4vNqW8.jpg

the hidden pins go about 1.5cm into the handle. I wanted the front of the handle to have a nice ovoid type shape with an expanding taper to it with some girth, since it's not so wide/high in profile. I don't know if there's a corby bolt long enough out there to protrude far enough to work, but there sure wasn't one here. The other thing is that, between the notch and the pin hole, I didn't want to add any other potential stress risers to the front of the handle
PXY9XLq.jpg

Sharing your videos of wip along with telling of difficulties makes the knife even cooler. Some knives seem to focus on the blade, or the handle, or aesthetics, or one aspect. You really take all aspects into consideration. That knife should be on a knife magazine cover!

This is a top notch knife, Lorien! I've been looking forward to seeing this one all finished up and it does not disappoint - fine leather as well. Do you plan on listing this one?
I've decided to list this and all the other knives that I have which are currently finished. Probably on Friday

Back