Fugitive PassAround - Reviews Are In!

So it still has not been sharpend or even stropped the whole time 1066vik and I have had it. He have done a good amount of cutting on wood mostly. I am not sure if Unit sharpened it after he cut up all the rope and golf balls or not. Either way I am very impressed with the edge holding on this blade. It is still cutting newspaper well not perfect but I can not see any edge damage it is just not quite as sharp as it was. So I cut a bunch of news paper then a bunch of cardboard then back to the news paper. It is still very sharp.

This picture is just to give you an idea of where the balance point is. It feels very light in hand and Im sure part of that is that nice balance from the tapered tang.

That photo with the cardboard "featherstick" shows a lot. It indicates that it still has a good edge, but more importantly, it is ground thin enough that it didn't roll over the cardboard or tear off the cut beside it.

I really dig this blade shape. The long sweeping belly makes for a heck of a cutter, I am sure.

James, what is the purpose of the little wave where the handle meets the blade?

James, what is the purpose of the little wave where the handle meets the blade?

On the spine side? It's just a little resting spot for your thumb. I find that more comfortable than jimping.

I regret to inform you all that this passaround is over. The knife has been paid-for. If the new owner wants to let others play with it, that's his business... but he seems to want to keep it for himself :D

Thank you all very much for your time and input!!

On the spine side? It's just a little resting spot for your thumb. I find that more comfortable than jimping.

Yep. Ok, that makes sense. Thanks:thumbup:

I regret to inform you all that this passaround is over. The knife has been paid-for. If the new owner wants to let others play with it, that's his business... but he seems to want to keep it for himself :D

What?!

That's cheating!:D

congrats on the easy sale - I suspected things might turn out that way... ;)

I've never had a knife come back from a passaround yet ;)

I'll grind out a couple more of these next time I do a batch of Elmax... don't hesitate to make suggestions if there's something y'all would like to see changed or tweaked.

Thanks again for your time, everyone!

Boo! I was looking forward to this one. Didn't realize it was going to be available for purchase before the pass around was over. :confused:

i-has-a-sad.jpg

Didn't realize it was going to be available for purchase before the pass around was over. :confused:

Sorry 'bout that. I'll make it more clear in the future... pretty much everything I make is for sale. That's why I don't write PA lists in stone more than a couple guys out. If someone gets a THK in hand and wants to pay for it and keep it... I can always make more :)

Incidentally, I already have one confirmed order for a Fugitive in CPM-3V with an 8" blade, so I'll be making a couple extra in 3V as well as more in Elmax. Fully-sharpened swedges will be optional and all the input so far will be taken strongly into consideration. Thank you all for that!

I'm curious - what blade lengths would you folks like to see in this pattern?

an inch longer for a true fighter, an inch shorter for a more dedicated woods/small game knife with attitude?

Well if you're gonna go to 7", might as well go right up to 8" for even better reach and leverage. I do like the idea of a 5" version as well, though.

Whatever people prefer! When I get to work on 'em, maybe I'll do a poll :) Not gonna be ready to have a whole batch waterjet cut for a few weeks at least, so I can cut out a couple different lengths, run 'em up the flagpole and see who salutes.

No biggie James. Just didn't realize is all. If you do another of these (same size, same steel), I'd be interested in seeing it. Just based on the pictures and comments on this one, I have a few thoughts on how I'd like it look if it were up to me.

Just wanted to pop in and thank you all again for your interest and support! I recently confirmed another order for a Fugitive. Input from these orders is being taken very seriously as I refine this design. :)

Sorry 'bout that. I'll make it more clear in the future... pretty much everything I make is for sale. That's why I don't write PA lists in stone more than a couple guys out. If someone gets a THK in hand and wants to pay for it and keep it... I can always make more :)

Incidentally, I already have one confirmed order for a Fugitive in CPM-3V with an 8" blade, so I'll be making a couple extra in 3V as well as more in Elmax. Fully-sharpened swedges will be optional and all the input so far will be taken strongly into consideration. Thank you all for that!

I'm curious - what blade lengths would you folks like to see in this pattern?

Just my input Jamus but I think a six inch should be standard. My Fugitive is an 8" with a sharpened back edge but then again I have special needs...:D
Of course with the Greykilt version if you slice it through the air you'll swear you hear bagpipes and since it's Tennessee made the G10 scales smell like Sour Mash. (That costs extra folks but well worth it!)

Last edited:
I kinda settled on 6.5" for the original as a good balance of reach and ease of carry. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Of course with the Greykilt version if you slice it through the air you'll swear you hear bagpipes and since it's Tennessee made the G10 scales smell like Sour Mash. (That costs extra folks but well worth it!)

It's funny you mention that... bourbon adds a nice subtle warm color to leather when used like a dye. Seriously, I've actually tried it... :eek: :D

Perhaps I should make that part of my repertoire... genuine Tennessee whiskey-dyed leather sheaths...

Hmmm... I do like figured maple as a handle material, and of course maple is an important part of Tennessee whiskey... I wonder how George Dickel would work as a stain... but I digress ;)

Back