full serrated or half n half?

I'm thinking of adding another tenacious to the mix. This time around I'm thinking full serrated. What you guys think?......

I used to like partially serrated blades back when I worked in landscaping; it seemed like the best of both worlds. Now I prefer all or nothing, and won't buy a partial -- I hate giving up the heel of the blade for most tasks, and when I actually want serrations I prefer having them everywhere.

I've never owned a fully serrated Tenacious, but I love my serrated Pacific Salt, Salt 2, and Dragonfly Hawkbill Salt.

All or nothing, serrations are more useful than most think. But having partial is just a compromise in my opinion, I find if I really needed a plain edge with spydercos fully serrated knives the small plain section at the tip is usually sufficient.

Full serrated for me, is the one you have plain edge? If so there’s no question, go full serrations, even when dull the will still cut.

I find that with anything less than a 5" blade you just don't get enough length out of either edge to use properly Especially the partial plain edge can be rather useless.

I have a bunch with half and half. I used to like the half serrations for beating on boxes or plastic or whatever and save my plain edge for stuff that required finesse. The past decade, I don't even bother with serrations at all. If I have something difficult to cut, I look at it as a chance to try one specific knife or edge and see how it does. Several people at work like serrations and I keep a chainsaw file in my locker specifically to sharpen their teeth with. Right or wrong, it's what I've always used. Kinda hate to admit this on a knife forum, but I've NEVER had a fully serrated knife at all. Secretly thought about it a few times but just never did it. That said, If I were you, I'd go full teeth.

I saw some members carry a secondary little serrated knife like this hawkbill dragonfly in addition to their main knife which is typically plain edge. A hawkbill and serrations seem to go together great for the ropey fibrous materials serrations seem to excel at.
41yUJEOGEIL._SX466_.jpg

I dislike combo edges and only accept it in one knife I own because I love the knife so much. Given the choice I will take plain edge or fully serrated any day.

That said I don’t mind a very short plain edge section at the tip of my otherwise fully serrated knives like this.

Microtech_Knives_Socom_Elite_TE_Folder_Knife_4in_Bead_Blasted_Serr_S35-VN_163-9_-_Front.jpg

A small fully serrated edge as a second knife might work pretty well especially if you cut a lot of fiberous material or boxes on a regular basis. Some like them for self defense purposes. I find the fully serrated second blade on one of my SAKs to be handy, but it adds another layer. For that reason, that knife doesn't leave home much. I may just keep that knife in my truck as you never know. Plus it would make an excellent backup knife.

I would strongly recommend against buying ANY knife half serrated. Either go full or none IMO. Half serrated knives suck (IMO, of course) because there's not enough serrations to be usable for their function, and there's not enough non serrated blade to fulfill it's function either. It's like a knife that tries really REALLY hard to do both things (cut fibrous tough material with the serrations and slice other stuff cleanly with the plain edge) but doesn't do either function worth a damn.

Yeah, another vote for full serrations. I almost always carry plain edge blades, but my couple of full serrated blades have their place. I carried partials for a long time, and I found that I never had enough serrations to do the job, but enough to be in the way. The only one that I would go with as a partial is I might consider some of the "tactical steakknife" designs from tops with the tip end serrated, but only for a ditch-bag type knife, and I have no need for things like that that.

Another vote from the all or nothing camp.
I, too, went through the half serrated phase in the late 90s...I haven't purchased one in nearly 20 yrs.

All or nothing, serrations are more useful than most think. But having partial is just a compromise in my opinion, I find if I really needed a plain edge with spydercos fully serrated knives the small plain section at the tip is usually sufficient.
This.

On a personal level I feel that partially serrated blades look like cheap gas station specials.

When I went to high school in my hometown our shop teacher, Mr. Bohn, had a number of sayings that he would pass around regularly. On Fridays he would say, "Boys, don't get caught with your pants down." The rest of the time it was, "Use the right tool for the job at hand." I have one combination ½ plain ½ serrated edge knife. It was a gift and as others have mentioned there is not really enough of either type edge to get the job done. Somewhere, I suspect Mr. Bohn is watching and saying, "You don't use a philips head screwdriver in a single slot screw! Now go get the right tool for the job."

I'm also in the all or nothing boat. I do have one exception that does see regular use. My sog seal knife is big enough to have plenty usable plain edge while also having a small run of serrations for those fibrous tasks. Looks about 2/3 plain.

AVKrGXn.jpg

On the subject of serrations, all are not made equal. Spyderco h1 serrations are by far my favorite. Do to the h1 work hardening the serrations stay sharper longer.

gQEo6tV.jpg

oRa75r3.jpg

I only have one knife that is half and half. That is one knife too many.

Go all or nothing.

Back