"Full Tang" defined

I'm trying to find out the actual definition of a "full tang" and i've come across some conflicting information. Is there a standard definition gfor this term?

Full tang is where you can see the exposed tang all around the circumference of the handle. The scales being just slabs epoxied, and pinned/bolted to the outside of said tang.

And stick tang is full length but narrower than the handle, and rabbet tang is shorter and narrower than the handle.

And 1/2" long stub tang melted into plastic handles is Pakistani-made Home Shopping Network stuff.... :eek:

Full tang is where you can see the exposed tang all around the circumference of the handle.

This is correct with the exception of a mortised tang.
Aint that a bugger, there's always a twist to it! :)
RuthZ, a mortised tang is a combination of a stick tang and a full tang. The outer tang can be welded to the stick tang after the guard has been mounted to the blade or it can be pinned to the handle scales.
Take care! Michael

What is a half-full tang called? Full length of the handle, exposed along the spine, but the edge side of the handle doesn't show the tang at all. Someone once told me that was a rabbit tang, but I think they might have misunderstood my explanation of my tang.

Your site is fantastic!! It is now one of my bookmarks, thanks and thanks to everyone else for thier help

Back