Fun Day!

JK Knives

Noshtero came over today to learn about knifemaking, and to make himself a knife. I showed him how to do each step, then let him do it himself. He did 95% of the knife himself, and did a darn good job!

Here he is profiling the outline (he made a Mini Bushcrafter)

2568qaw.jpg

Grinding in the bevels.

34fdyxy.jpg

Here is how it looked after heat treating.

nfjfb.jpg

After cleaning up the bevels.

213ksnd.jpg

Handles glueing on (maple burl)

11ad9mu.jpg

Shaping the handles.

2vb20wz.jpg

The maker and his knife.

5xtx0j.jpg

We also made a kydex sheath, but I forgot to take a picture. Maybe Rob will post one. A fun day, talking and making knives.

Looks like a great time. I hope he posts a review on the new knife.
Did you get out and enjoy the beautiful day at all?

Awesome! I'm very jealous. Great knife choice and maple burl to boot! Good times

Ditto. I'm jealous as well. All I've had with my own attempts at knifemaking is frustration. So lucky to have a good knifemaker peek into his world. Very cool.

I had an absolute BLAST! I surely have a new-found respect for the work that goes into making these things. Knife making is something that's not terribly difficult to do, but VERY difficult to do well. I have a LONG ways to go. John set me on the right path though. I think he must have been a teacher in a previous life. He explains things so well, and is very patient with an absolute beginner like me.

Here's a couple more shots of the finished product. Not too shabby for my first knife.
263.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

I can't thank John enough.

P.S. No I'm not doing a review of this knife. This knife is officially a safe queen. I'm not going to go screw up my first knife :) I'll do a review of my second knife ;)

Fantastic! I've got some steel and the tools (although not that cool grinder that John has) but have yet to put steel to the belt. Your success has me inspired to start making sparks!!! Beautiful knife.

Just thought I'd post this here. I built a light box/studio thingy to take better pictures. Here's a better shot of the knife.

Knife1-2.jpg

Back