fun with scraps

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
awhile ago, I had a half dozen hatchets waterjet cut from 8mm Bohler A2. Ryan Weeks made them into functional, and dare I say, awesome tools.

I'm unapologetically a salvager. I don't tend to get rid of things unless I have to, especially good steel that I can make into knives, or some other useful thing.

recently, one of my throwing knives broke, leaving me with the feeling that I could use some new ones. Rather than buy some, (Flying Steel is making some neat options) I'd rather have some for free.

as you all may know, I like to design knives, among other things. I kind of like the challenge of working within constraints, in this case the constraint is the size and shape of the pieces I have available;

TJJkbWh.jpg

it took an hour or two to come up with a (hopefully) workable pattern, and this is it;

YUhbDBR.jpg

if I ever finish these knives, they are going to be hard hitting and hefty. I was kind of playing with the idea of chisel grinds so the two knives would sit flat against each other in the sheath. Also thinking I'll likely be using waxed leather for the handle slabs. We'll see...

Cool beans!

You should still get one from Patrick (Flying Steel), though. Good egg, and nice throwers.

those Flying Steels do look super rad, but I've finally figured out that I'm probably better off putting any extra money I have into tools;
-bandsaw
-disc sander
-milling machine
-lathe
-oven
-forge
-anvil
-holy shit do I ever want a lot of tools
dGMM1Bs.jpg

If I’ma make a scrap metal knife I’ma make it look sexy
If I’ma throw hard in the yard I’ma make it look sexy

If I’ma make a scrap metal knife I’ma make it look sexy
If I’ma throw hard in the yard I’ma make it look sexy
Lamar?

As usual, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Busse made his Ice Picks from the scraps that were left from cutting out other knives. There was also one made by SRKW.

1_b107180eae3b1749eb888e495fefe4d2.jpg Swamp-Rat-Knife-Works-Rat-Ice-Pick-RIP-1.jpg

Back