Functional Katana for under $100?

This sounds ridiculous but I always had fantasies about being a ninja when I was a little kid. It's time to make those dreams come true lol. I know swords are expensive and I won't get much for less than $100, but I can at least get something. Any suggestions for a good value katana?

This sounds ridiculous but I always had fantasies about being a ninja when I was a little kid. It's time to make those dreams come true lol. I know swords are expensive and I won't get much for less than $100, but I can at least get something. Any suggestions for a good value katana?

No, but if you spend a few extra bucks you can get a sword you can actually use. It's not a katana but then again it's close to your price range.

CAS Hanwei tactical wakizashi. MSRP is 169 bucks, but street price should be closer to 115.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CISH2432 can preorder it there.

Even cheaper here but from a site I'm not familiar with: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2432&name=Hanwei+Tactical+Wakizashi

you can buy blade steel and a file and some sandpaper for that price and make yourself a real blade...

Yup. Tactical wakizashi all the way. Also, you could try out some sword-like machetes like the Cold Steel katana machete (also yet to be released).

An alternate piece that's available now would be the Hanwei Banshee, though it most resembles a Burmese Dha.

A quick Google Shopping search turned up a Banshee for $122.99 :)

I've heard good things about Musashi swords. They can be had for less than a hundred.

Chris

you can buy blade steel and a file and some sandpaper for that price and make yourself a real blade...

Yes, because everyone has the skills to properly grind an edge and heat treat, let alone make a sword.

:rolleyes:

Try this one. Sounds to be just what you're looking for.

[youtube]kybIaNkIQLI[/youtube]

I've heard good things about Musashi swords. They can be had for less than a hundred.

Chris

I too have read some favourable reviews of some of the Musashi wares. I think the sub-$100 stuff will be branded under the name "Musha" soon... so I hear.

Musashi makes a decent Katana for the money.
Make sure you get one of the newer 1060 steel ones. There are still some of the old 1045 steel models out there. Those are light cutting duty swords.
They also have a number of <$100.00 kats that are clay hardened with a true hamon. The Edo period katanas and the "Bamboo" are made with the clay hardened blades.

Several online stores have decent prices on them. I personally prefer Sword'n'Armory and Sword Nation. Both have wide selections and VERY competitive prices.
Kult of Athena is also very competitive, but, their Musashi line is pretty short.

BTW, welcome to Blade forums!

Musashi makes a decent Katana for the money.
Make sure you get one of the newer 1060 steel ones. There are still some of the old 1045 steel models out there. Those are light cutting duty swords.
They also have a number of <$100.00 kats that are clay hardened with a true hamon. The Edo period katanas and the "Bamboo" are made with the clay hardened blades.

Several online stores have decent prices on them. I personally prefer Sword'n'Armory and Sword Nation. Both have wide selections and VERY competitive prices.
Kult of Athena is also very competitive, but, their Musashi line is pretty short.

BTW, welcome to Blade forums!

thank you!! I just received my Musashi Hiryuu katana. I don't think its the 1060 steel because I ordered before you replied, I was too excited :) Anyways this thing is AWESOME. Just holding it I felt empowered. I took it outside and cut through some gallon jugs, and it sliced like a hot knife through butter. couldn't be happier, so thanks for the suggestion dudes!!!

Functional Katana for under 100.00? IMO and in my experience, you are asking for trouble and dissappointment if you spend 100 or less on any sword which you might intend to use to cut anything, even if it is only tatami or saplings. If you are going to do anything with your sword beyond hanging it on a wall for display you should absolutely NOT even look at anything under 100 dollars. This is the least expensive I found;
http://www.hanweishop.com/proddetail.php?prod=SH2073
Their practical Katana should be minimally suitable as well and probably just a bit over 100.00
Even today, and even though they are not used for actual combat anymore, one should look at these as investments and consider spending the money to get the best they can find and afford.
Hanwei makes a decent product from what I've heard.

Here is some more to consider though from my experience buying and breaking some cheaper swords.
Usually, modern sword makers will use relatively shorter stock and weld extra length onto the tang for longer, two hand type swords. Or, they will weld threaded stock onto a half tang so that a pommel can be screwed on, in the case of European type designs.
The steel will generally be of lower quality and, IMO the heat treat may not be as good as it could be....

The steel 1060 was mentioned above. I'm sure this is a suitable steel especially considering that in this modern era any steel you purchase today will be of generally superior quality to that found in the past. I've found that most makers of low to high end swords use 5160 however, including Albion Armourers. There are only slight differences but I personally think they are worth considering, edge holding ability being one of them.

Swords made from 1060 are probably closer to what an actual Samuri or Ninja would have used though.

Katana....None..

Functional Katana for under 100.00? IMO and in my experience, you are asking for trouble and dissappointment if you spend 100 or less on any sword which you might intend to use to cut anything, even if it is only tatami or saplings. If you are going to do anything with your sword beyond hanging it on a wall for display you should absolutely NOT even look at anything under 100 dollars. This is the least expensive I found;
http://www.hanweishop.com/proddetail.php?prod=SH2073
Their practical Katana should be minimally suitable as well and probably just a bit over 100.00
Even today, and even though they are not used for actual combat anymore, one should look at these as investments and consider spending the money to get the best they can find and afford.
Hanwei makes a decent product from what I've heard.

Here is some more to consider though from my experience buying and breaking some cheaper swords.
Usually, modern sword makers will use relatively shorter stock and weld extra length onto the tang for longer, two hand type swords. Or, they will weld threaded stock onto a half tang so that a pommel can be screwed on, in the case of European type designs.
The steel will generally be of lower quality and, IMO the heat treat may not be as good as it could be....

The steel 1060 was mentioned above. I'm sure this is a suitable steel especially considering that in this modern era any steel you purchase today will be of generally superior quality to that found in the past. I've found that most makers of low to high end swords use 5160 however, including Albion Armourers. There are only slight differences but I personally think they are worth considering, edge holding ability being one of them.

Swords made from 1060 are probably closer to what an actual Samuri or Ninja would have used though.

Um like I said in my above post, my Musashi katana is completely legitimate, especially for $60. I've been cutting brush/thin branches/gallon jugs and just overall abusing it and its holding up amazingly. The only thing I could possibly complain about is that the tsuba is ever so slightly loose, and I could care less about that. The blade steel and overall construction is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Um like I said in my above post, my Musashi katana is completely legitimate, especially for $60. I've been cutting brush/thin branches/gallon jugs and just overall abusing it and its holding up amazingly. The only thing I could possibly complain about is that the tsuba is ever so slightly loose, and I could care less about that. The blade steel and overall construction is perfectly adequate for my needs.

The tsuba being loose is one of those things I mentioned. The fit and finish. And that's fine if you are ok with putting up with that. I personally cannot stand a loose or rattling guard or pommel, both of which I've loosened on swords less than 500.00 with minimal (read first time) usage. :)

I think that one day, when you get around to affording a more expensive Katana, like in the thousand dollar range, you will be amazed by the differences both obvious and subtle. All I'm saying is that one generally gets what one pays for and that this axiom applies to swords as well. :)

All that said, Peter Johnson, the researcher and bladesmith for Albion Armourers, has told me that he has examined many period pieces which had loose guards. However, he said that these are obviously many hundreds of years old and that there is no telling when they became loose or if the owner put up with the loosness during their time of ownership. I know I would not have put up with it. ;)

In the end I wish you many hours of fun in cutting whatever you wish to cut and that you are happy with it. :)

HEY! Did you see the REST OF THE SWORDS??? Check this site out Mk

http://www.handmadesword.com/502.html

OMG! These are AWEsome! Musashi even makes some in the 700-1000 range! They also had some in the above 10 K range going up to 18K or more.
WOW! Some really beautiful stuff here. Check it out if you haven't already:D

Back