Fw: a newbie's question on the BAS

A few other observations:

I've used both GH & HI khuks out bush: when I decide to test one I tend to do eveything I can think of with it: cut scrub, dig holes, build stuff, split fire wood etc.

Both of the GH blades chipped badly (needing the edge re-shaped with a file - ended up giving one away, the other is my gardening khuk).

Under the same kind of use Uncle's stuff just took a few rolled edges which were quickly fixed with a steel.

Cheers

Here's a picture of a khukuri carried by a Gorkha in Kosova. If you look closely you'll notice it has an enclosed cho and brass inlay in Sword of Shiva area. We also saw some Gorkhas who were in Afghanistan or headed there and the khukuris they were carrying looked like village favorites resembling somewhat the Gelbu Special.

When the chips are down the Gorkhas carry what they want and wisely so, however, they do carry the SN1 for inspection and parade.

Attachments

• kosovo khukuri.jpg
    kosovo khukuri.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 80
When I was researching ( :D ) for my first buy I asked the same sort of questions. Now than I have a couple of my own, I can say that a good point to start would be the British Army Service (BAS) or 16.5" WWII. Both are great all round cutting tools which will also work as pretty mean weapons. Personally I prefer the blade profile on the BAS to the WWII but thats just looks.

HI makes khukuries in a bewildering array of variations of length and blade shapes. But after you get your first one and have a chance to do some work it it you will probably have a better idea of your ideal khuk. I lucked out when the 15" Sirupati in my first order turned out to be my favourite (so far). Now I need another one just like that but a tad longer...

Andrew Limsk

As I understand it from the GH forum, your only chance of getting a GH Service No 1 is second hand. GH are out of business, due to the troubles in Nepal.

The GH Service No 1 is - was - a very fine knife.

The HI BAS is even better.

We probably should be out of business, too, but we are either too stupid, hard headed, or dedicated to quit. You can take your pick or be like me and go for the combination of all three.

Back