G.H. Panawal

while on a short camping trip this past week I tested the Panawal with excellent results. I used this blade to cut and split firewood as well as to prepare meals. Even with the extensive chopping and splitting of wood the edge remained razor sharp!!! I did hit a large rock when I missed a swing which did damage the edge slightly but after using the burnisher and a diamond stone it was good as new!! This has turned out to be a fantastic blade and one I would recommend!!

My experience, though limited, with my Panawal model has also been good. I have done some test chopping on a long piece of 6x6 pine, and found that the edge on this thing will outlast my desire to chop wood.
I really like the heft and balance of this relatively short blade. I would recommend one of the Panawal models to anyone who wants/needs a serious one-hand chopping tool.
The price is outstanding for a blade of this quality. I intend to buy at least one more GH
blade.

------------------
Real men ride Moto Guzzis!

Like Springrcop and Mike, I have a Panawal and am super impressed with it. I haven't had a chance to test its performance on anything other than 2x4's and a couple of 3 1/2" diameter limbs from an orange tree. These were dispatched with very little effort and were a non-event for this brute. I'm looking forward to testing it on something more worthy of its heft and blade design.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Now, for the bad news: I only have two left. I got my shipment on Friday, but forgot to order more Panawals. I will be ordering more, but for now, the heavy chopper on-deck will be the Bhojpure. Incidentally, I silver plated the brass fittings on a Bhojpure last night (using some funky rub on silver-plating). It came out beautiful. When I'm satisfied with it, I'll post a pic of the handle.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Hey Craig,since yer out of Panawals how about ordering something bigger. Something along the lines of HI`s 20" AK? Heh heh.
smile.gif
Marcus

Marcus: I did do a special order for someone for a 20 inch, and it arrived, well, a little out of perportion (they did a 20 inch blade by mistake instead of a 20 inch overall). Sure, it's a beast, but not very practical. Does the 20 inch have 15 inches of steel with a five inch handle?

Guys, now that it has been mentioned, what is the proper way to measure a khukri?Straight from tip to tip?Along the curve? Cutting edge? Please enlighten.

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

Point of blade to back of tang mushroomed over diamond shaped keeper on buttcap if rat tail tang, center of buttcap if not. Straight line between the two points.

Craig,I believe they`re 15" blade/5" handle. I wonder if a 20" blade might be more practical with a hand and a half grip? <wry grin>
wink.gif
Marcus

Marcus - my bad. I'm sure that the handle is going to be a bit bigger to compensate for the big blade. I haven't seen one yet, but I think you're right. I'm just going to ask for a 20 incher and let the kamis do the rest.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,it`ll be interesting to see what they come up with. It just seemed to me that the big AK`s are pretty popular on the HI forum and that you could use something similar in your line. We`ll see how they come out maybe my Bhojpure will get a big brother.
wink.gif
Marcus

I'm going to ask for a bhojpure-styled blade (the one with the divot). It won't be a panawal, though, because I happen to like the hidden-tang handles better. Although I will probably get a couple of panawal-styled 20 inchers in just for kicks.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back