Gag a maggot on BBC

Rusty

We now have medically sanctioned maggots in Britain. The 4/10/02 webcast of the BBC reports that doctors in the UK are now using maggots to clean out infected sores, such as develop with diabetic problems with the lower leg and feet.

Apparently the maggots exude some substance from their maw that dissolves only sick or putrid tissue but not the healthy flesh next to it. A hundred medically approved maggots in a gauze "tea bag" ( which they remain within the whole time and feed through it ) costs 200 pounds British.

Stay tuned to the HI forum which brings you all the news you never heard before ( because it made the newscasters throw up. )

HAH!

I have seen something on this before. I think it was to treat gangrene, and without it, the patient would have lost a foot.

That story didn't mention the astronomical cost of approved maggots however. Let's start a farm!!

I've read quite a few accounts of this technique (though not quite so antiseptic) being used in WW II POW camps by Allied soldiers and fliers. Apparently the "treatment" was to allow flys to parade on an infected wound when antibiotics coudn't be obtained. After the flys had had their walkies, the wound was wrapped. After a bit the fly's eggs hatched, and the maggots would only eat the necrotic tissue, leaving the healthy tissue behind. It seems like you'd be asking for an abcess using this method on a deep wound, but I guess you use what's available.

Another ancient remedy that's making a comeback is leaches. Apparently they're being used to suck down the swelling on post-operative patients wounds. I think is also in Great Britain.

Originally posted by Rusty
We now have medically sanctioned maggots in Britain. .....

We had lots of maggots at Parris Island. I was one. My DI said so. :D

Semper Fi,
He also said the pvt. was worthless, lower than W**** S***
& USELESS! I know cause he told me!:D Then you became something positive,"A MARINE"!ARRAH!
jim

:barf: :barf:

(the above is in reference to maggots eating rotten flesh and NOT to marines or PI--just thought I'd better clear that up as I like living:D)

I remember hearing about this a number of months ago - sometimes the 'old' methods are best ;) it seems

I wonder how much a bag of liberals would cost? >>

Unlike maggots, Liberals eat the healthy tissue and leave putrid flesh behind them as they go.

munk

Aint that the truth... :D :D

Originally posted by munk

Unlike maggots, Liberals eat the healthy tissue and leave putrid flesh behind them as they go.

munk

Yep, sometimes the old ways are the best. I read a few accounts of maggot therapy in the PI POW camps in WWII. Those little critters saved a bunch of lives.

And of course. ... Hollywood has shown :rolleyes: that Maggot therapy worked too. Just go back to last year and watch Gladiator. ... poor Russell Crowe fed the maggots on his way to his first Gladiator camp :D . AND YOU KNOW IF HOLLYWOOD uses it. ... ITS GOTTA BE TRUE :D!!

Alan

Originally posted by munk

munk

Hehehehehe. You said it, I didn't.

Munk said -

"Unlike maggots, Liberals eat the healthy tissue and leave putrid flesh behind them as they go."

I love that. A new sig file is born...

It would be in the UK, wouldn't it? Though I'm amazed that the maggots and the leeches can sparee time from their hectic schedules to do anything so useful - they're all too busy running the country.

It would be in the UK, wouldn't it? Though I'm amazed that the maggots and the leeches can sparee time from their hectic schedules to do anything so useful - they're all too busy running the country.>>>

It is obvious we've been giving the legitimate maggots and leeches a bad name they do not deserve. Corpse feeders and scavengers have a function. I might add they are created, not elected, and have a place in the natural order.

Not all liberals believe the answer to failed social programs is spending more of someonelse's money, but they are rare; as rare as succesfull social programs. What's really interesting is when a liberal believes in the second amendment. Then if there's a revolution, will he be standing next to you, or across the bean field with the technocrats?

munk, dangerously close to buying a second Kuk before he even has the first

Originally posted by jim_l_clifton
Semper Fi,
He also said the pvt. was worthless, lower than W**** S***
& USELESS! I know cause he told me!:D Then you became something positive,"A MARINE"!ARRAH!
jim
YES! And brain washed and dry cleaned for life!

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA HEE!!!!!!:D :D :p

Originally posted by Rusty
We now have medically sanctioned maggots in Britain. The 4/10/02 webcast of the BBC reports that doctors in the UK are now using maggots to clean out infected sores, such as develop with diabetic problems with the lower leg and feet.

Stay tuned to the HI forum which brings you all the news you never heard before ( because it made the newscasters throw up. )

Bro my half brother had this done to him back in the late 30's. (Jack is 12 years older than me.)
Jack had contracted osteomylitis somehow and the Drs told Mom that they were gonna have to take Jack's leg off. There was an old Dr. named Doc Humphrey in Sperry Oklahoma at the time who was a known drunk. Mopm said Doc Humphrey took one look at Jack's leg and said, "There ain't no one takin' that boy's leg off!!!!"
Doc Humphrey put cleaned maggots in the open wound on Jack's leg and bandaged it up. Mom aways said how much Jack was annoyed by the maggot's squirming in the wound and begged her to take it off and clean it, but of course Mom never did.
Jack has one helluva ugly scar on his leg, but he at least still has it.
I'm not sure that Old Doc Humphrey wasn't an ndn and Mom never would say one way or another which led me to believe he was. How he got a license to practice Medicine even in Oklahoma Territory is still a mystery to me. Dr. Humphrey may be the source of a good subject for a history novel. :)

Back